Saturday 8 October 2022

This Week - W/E 8th October 2022

This week got off to a very chilled start. I spent Sunday at home, pottering mostly, which I always enjoy.

I was dragged out of bed on Monday, by some news about one of the companies in which I have shares. It wasn't good news and wasn't something I could condone as a shareholder, so I decided to get up and sell the shares. I was intending to sell them anyway later this week, after some dividends were paid, but I decided that they would probably dip more in value now, than the amount I would receive, so the news just helped make the decision for me.  

I now own just three lots of shares, two that are not on a platform where it is easy to sell them, so I'll probably hang onto them for now and one other set of shares that it will cost me money to sell, as their value has dropped so much. Paying to sell them makes no sense at all. It's frankly a relief to know I have less money tied up in shares at the moment.

For the rest of Monday, I decided to do some sewing in the sewing room. I wanted to try making a few new things to sell.

On Tuesday, I went to Aerobics as usual. It was tough this week, the teacher worked us hard. When I got back, I was awaiting a call from a government funded pension information line. I'm considering cashing in a small pension and wanted to know more about my options and their implications.  It was very informative, but I still haven't made a solid decision about what I'm going to do. It's actually reducing in value currently with the state of the economy.

Wednesday, I went to Soca Aerobics. I really enjoyed it this week, possibly because I never made it there last week. It was really windy on the cycle ride there and back, but refreshingly so.

In the afternoon, I started to make some more items to sell on line and pulled out some other things to list, which I did later in the evening. I had another sale to post off today and then I got a response to a job application I made earlier in the week. I was asked to answer some questions on video, as part of the job application process. It's not something I've done before, but I'll give it a go.

We got some other good news on Wednesday, we (well, OH) won the Best Plot award at the allotment. I was really pleased for him, as he puts a lot of work into it.  I have been going to the plot a bit more since leaving work, but mainly just to harvest, so I can't take the credit. We received a £10 voucher to spend at a local Garden Centre, so I will enjoy heading over there and buying something with it.  I may use it to get something for OH for Xmas.

On Thursday, I got up and got myself ready to make the video for the job application. I'm always a bit nervous with online interviews and such like.  I had a zoom interview back before I left my job, but it wasn't successful, so I'm not sure that I come across very well, but I'll soon find out. After several attempts at recording and re-recording I was finally happy with my submissions. How the world has changed in terms of applying for jobs. I then applied for several more jobs online and had various online assessments to complete. I felt like I'd done a days work by the time I'd finished.

Anyway, the remainder of Thursday was pretty chilled. I posted off another few sales and did some top up shopping. OH took the afternoon off and started to replace the sash windows in the back bedroom (LB's room). He's changing them over from single glazed to double glazed, which should make the room a bit more energy efficient and warmer in the winter months.

Friday, got off to a disappointing start this week. I got an email from a large supermarket I'd applied to, asking me to book an interview slot.  When I got to the interview schedule page, all the slots had gone. I rang the store in question and found out that I'd missed the boat, which was a pity.  At least I now know how it works for future applications. Anyway, I applied for quite a few more jobs today, so we'll see if I get any more opportunites to attend interviews.  There are so many applicants for every job I apply for. I don't believe it when people say there aren't enough workers in the UK anymore. It's complete rubbish.

Anyway, I had booked into the gym, so went over there later, but to be honest, I wasn't feeling it so much today. I just went through the motions and came home. On Friday evening OH was out, so I walked the dog, had some supper and did a few bits and pieces, such as making some more roll on deodorant and air freshener.

On Saturday, I got up and went out with the dog. OH was out cycling, so I was home alone most of the day. I decided to do some crafting with beads. I'd bought some more in a mixed lot on eBay and was keen to use them. I have made another suncatcher, which I'm thinking of selling.  It took a couple of hours to make it, but I was happy with the result.  We'll see if anyone buys it.

I also got a couple of rejections from job applications today, which was pretty depressing. I'm grateful that they had the courtesy to let me know, but it is still disappointing. I'm finding job hunting a little demoralising if I'm honest, but it is what it is.

I ordered a few things on eBay this week, some from OH for my birthday this month, some just things I needed for making things to sell, so I've had lots of happy mail this week and parcels to open, which has been very exciting. I can't really afford to buy anything else though now, so spending and receiving parcels will be curtailed for the rest of the month.

We had a quiet night in on Saturday night. I needed to get some things together to take over to LB in South London on Sunday. OH is cycling over at Herne Hill and then afterwards we're going to see LB and take her some things and then out for something to eat.  I'm really looking forward to seeing her. I miss her a lot.

I hope you've had a good week.





1 comment:

  1. I just bet you miss LB. I was the same when my boys first left.

    Hopefully you will get a job very soon if that is what you want.

    Sounds as if you had a busy week, and Congratulations on the win by your Hubby.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete