Monday 17 October 2022

Reading Lately (or Not)

In recent months, I've been struggling to read books. I have a pile by my bedside of books that I have started or haven't started yet but mean to. Everytime I pick up a book, I very quickly get bored or just can't settle into reading. It's very strange as I've always enjoyed reading and it has often been a great source of comfort during difficult times.

Anyway, not to be defeated, I recently picked up a couple of Audio books from our local library.  They were on sale at 50p each, so I thought why not give them a go.


The first one I listened to was this one by Kathleen Tessaro called The Debutante. I think I read the book version of her first novel Elegance many years ago and remember enjoying it, so that was why I picked up this one.  It didn't disappoint.

The only place that I can listen to cds is in the car, as we don't have a cd player anywhere else anymore, so I would listen to it here and there as I went out to do the shopping or took the dog out for a walk. I guess it's no different to picking up and putting down a book. There were 10 discs with this audio book, so it took a while to get through it, but eventually I did and really enjoyed it. 



The second one I bought was this book by Edna O'Brien, called The Light of Evening.  I've never read any books by this author before, so I didn't quite know what to expect, but I am quite enjoying it. I think there are 7 or 8 discs for this book, so it might take me a while.

I have one more audio book that I can listen to, that I picked up free from a Little Free Library. It is non-fiction and is by Deborah Norville. It looks quite interesting.


I am hoping that I will eventually get my thirst for reading actual books back, but in the meantime, listening to them comes a close second and there seems to be plenty to choose from at the library.

2 comments:

  1. Our sons use audio books in the car too. I am thinking I might enjoy them when working in the sewing/craft room.

    Hopefully you get your urge to read back very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read my 1st book in about 6 weeks, which is a long break for me.

    ReplyDelete