Friday 26 June 2020

Underbed Re-organisation

Today, I got the idea in my head to tackle the under bed storage in our bedroom.  We have one of those beds where you can lift up the mattress and store items below it. It has been more or less full of things since we bought the bed two or three years ago and it does help to keep the house looking a bit more clutter free.
 
I went through all of the contents of the storage, making sure that I still wanted to keep it all in there.  I pulled out a few pictures that I might make a picture wall with, as they're all pictures or prints of our home city/county and might look nice hung together in the dining room. I found that the glass in one of the pictures, a map of our county of birth, had broken in storage, so that was another piece of glass to add to the list of pieces that I need to order from the glass shop.  Just as well that I haven't done that yet.
 
I also found a large oak frame, that I am going to use to hang a piece of LB's artwork, as it is much nicer than the frame I was originally going to use, and it has some glass in it, so I just need to order a mount for it. I've found several on eBay that I can choose from and just need to decide on a colour. It will need to be cut down to size a little with regard to the aperture, but that should be doable.
 
Anyway, I vacuumed out the storage spaces under the bed and rearranged some of their contents, so that like items were with like items, making it much more organised and easy to find anything I might need to get access to. I pulled out a box of paperwork that I'd stuck in there and proceeded to sort through it.  A lot of it was work related, much of which could be shredded and some was financial stuff that actually needed tackling, so this afternoon I've spent some time dealing with some of it and getting some long forgotten tasks underway.  That was very satisfying.
 
I also found a garden centre voucher in there, that we won for being awarded Best Plot at the allotment last year, so I can now finally go and spend it at a local garden centre before I go back to work. I might try to do that over the weekend, as I'll be able to park the car nearby. I'll probably end up spending more than the voucher itself again though!
 
I managed to squeeze a couple of  baskets of photographs into the under bed storage too, which meant that I could rearrange a couple of corners of the bedroom and the sewing room to create a slightly more spacious feel to the rooms.
 
Other jobs that I've tackled include attaching a new trim to the newly painted blanket boxes in my bedroom. I ordered the trim on eBay and it arrived today. Previously each box had a different coloured trim, one yellow, one green, as that was all I had at the time of re-upholstering them, so it's good to finally pull their look together with the same trim.
 
I also ordered new light switch cords and pulls for both bathrooms, as the white cords currently hanging in them have been there for over 10 years and were very dirty.  I have bleached them in the past to clean them, but this time around I have bought dark grey cord and pulls so they will show the dirt a lot less.
 
I also took delivery of some gold paint from eBay today, which I am going to use to touch up a mirror from the living room. It has a gilt plaster frame, which has been chipped over the years, so at least the paint should cover the white chips and freshen it up. I'll do a separate post about how it turns out.
 
Furlough has been all about doing those tiny little jobs that get neglected in day to day life, but which feel very satisfying to do. It means that I'll be able to go back to work with a clear head, and be able to concentrate on what needs doing at the shop, which will be a help.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Good for you in getting the underbed storage sorted. Glad you found the garden voucher and it still can be spent.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very rewarding to look back and see how much has been sorted this summer, neither of us work, but we did go out alot, so staying home has given us time to sort those niggling things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well worth the sort out to find the voucher, happy spending!

    We have a light pull to replace, the chap managed to snap one of ours. I hadn't thought of buying a colour other than while, it's a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete