Sunday 7 June 2020

A Productive Weekend

After a pretty lazy day on Friday, and after being motivated by waiting to hear if I am going back to work in the next couple of weeks, I had a much more productive weekend.
 
On Saturday, I finally got around to doing some painting in the living room and applied the first coat of eggshell on the skirting boards.  It didn't really take too long.  OH had previously applied one coat on the door frames and proceeded to apply the second coat later on Saturday.  He then completed the second coat on the skirting boards today, so that now all the bits of the room that we are painting are now finished.
 
I'll post separately when we've got the furniture uncovered and we've got everything how we want it.  I still need to get paint to re-paint the blanket box and the footstool, so the room won't be finished until these things have been done.  I will try to do them this coming week, but it will mean another visit to B&Q to get the paint.
 
 
 
I'm going to use the same paint that I used on this stool, that I also painted this weekend. I got tester pots of this colour from B&Q on my visit there on Friday and I really like the colour. It's called Princeton. It should help to tie the décor of the living and dining rooms together.
 
On Sunday, I was very happy because I managed to get my sewing machine working again. Once more I found a checklist of what the problem could be on Pinterest, and it proved very useful.  I think the thread I was using was not very good quality, because when I swapped it out the machine worked perfectly. Just shows that cheap thread is not a good idea.
 
Anyway, with the sewing machine working again, I spent most of Sunday afternoon making the last few masks that I'm going to make. The ones I made matched the aprons I made for work, so I'll be very co-ordinated when I do go back. They are not made according to the new WHO recommendations, (i.e. three layers, the first soft cotton, the second polypropylene and the third outer layer synthetic), but they'll have to do. The ones for work are more for stopping me touching my face than to prevent me catching the virus anyway, as I probably won't be in a public facing position all of the time. For the times when I am, the charity are supplying us with masks, so I'll use those.
 
In addition to finishing some masks, I also made a couple more bags, one for my dance shoes and another one for masks only. I don't need to make any more PPE now, I think I've got quite enough to keep me going.
 
LB headed out with her friend to attend the protest march for Black Lives Matter today.  I was a bit apprehensive about her going, after some violent scuffles broke out on Saturday night, and because of the Covid risk, but I'm not going to stop her peacefully protesting for a better future for everyone. It's a very important time and cause and in any case she was back safely a few hours later, which I was very relieved about.
 
This coming week I've got quite a long list of things to do:
 
Finish re-upholstering the chair seat. I need to attach some fabric to the back.  I've found some in my fabric stash that I'm going to use. (I'm waiting for OH to do a final sand of the woodwork before I start to oil it, but with a bit of luck I might get that done too this week)
 
Buy paint and then paint the blanket box, foot stool and a couple of picture frames, ready to go back into the living room.
 
Try to complete two picture framing jobs that I need to do before I go back to work.
 
Harvest the gooseberries from the allotment, which I think are now ripe. I also need to take a few photos down there for another update post as it has now really filled up and things are growing well.
 
I have another work Q&A on Zoom later in the week.
 
If I am going back to work very soon, I need to shop for a few cleaning supplies and other things for the shop and also buy some padded cycling pants to make cycling to work more comfortable.
 
If we get a sunny day, I am going to spend some time outside and wash all the garden pots that OH has used to plant up the allotment.
 
I think that's enough to be going on with. I'll keep you posted with progress.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You really did have a busy weekend. Me, not so much. I have just worked on finishing a few projects that were started, and attended the rally for Black Lives Matter here in my city.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a busy time!

    The chap has been so busy with work we haven't done much in terms of home improvements, even though the list is very long!

    I have started a new blog if you're interested in dropping by, same mundane stuff as before - https://oneaveragewoman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete