Friday 10 January 2020

Back to Dance Classes

This week has heralded a return to the Jazz Solo/Charleston classes that I've been attending for the last 3 months. There was virtually a completely new crowd of attendees, apart from about 3 or 4 people that I recognised.  I always find it strange to have to get used to a whole group of new faces.

In honour of it being 2020, the next five week block is 20's Charleston again, which I don't mind, as I quite enjoy it. Some dance shoes came in the shop the other day and whilst pricing them I noticed that one pair was my size, so I'll be buying them next week and trying them out at next week's class. They have leather soles, which is useful for helping with the swivel in 20's Charleston.

I've missed dancing over the Christmas period.  It was good to have a break, but I enjoy going every week and learning new steps to add to my limited repertoire.

Tonight, I've been out dancing again at the monthly social dancing night.  It's only the second time I've attended, and this time I went alone, as my friend is taking a break from classes and didn't want to come.  I decided to go anyway, as I could always leave after the class, which constitutes the first hour of the night, if I wanted to.  In the end, I stayed for an hour or so and sat watching everyone dance.  A few people took pity on me and asked me to dance.  They were very kind and it was good experience to dance with different people.

I didn't dance any solo this time, mainly because the music didn't really lend itself, or maybe that's just an excuse. I didn't really even try this time around.

I have to admit that I'm not too good at Lindy Hop partnering.  I'm a bit stubborn I think and find it hard to follow the lead partner. In fact, a couple of men more or less told me so tonight.  They didn't seem too happy with me, well one in particular.  Not that it bothers me. I'm sure I'll get used to it with practice, but at the moment I feel like a fish out of water.  I will probably need to take some lessons to get better, which I'm considering as my next step.

Regardless, I felt quite proud of myself for going and just getting on with it. I'm not going to learn to dance with a partner just sat at home, watching dancers on YouTube. Thankfully, OH is supportive, he even offered to go with me, but not dance. I couldn't let him do that.  He'd hate it. He's just not interested. In any case, I don't really need him to go with me.  When you go on your own you take the opportunities that present themselves and that's a good thing I think.


6 comments:

  1. What a brave soul you are. I don't think I could have stayed after the lesson by myself.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or stupid. Not sure which, but people are not really judgemental or anything and one guy even said that it was nice to see a new face, which was quite welcoming. I guess they realise you've got to start somewhere.

      Delete
  2. I always think if you never try you never know so good on you for giving it a go solo - it was quite a brave move. My sister and her DH go dancing they started when they were getting married - her partner couldn't dance a step but now they win medals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's encouraging. I don't think I'll ever be winning any medals though. Too old now. I would just like to be able to dance well.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to do some solo jazz! I've never taken a class in that though we often had a start activity with solo jazz moves t the start of a lindy class and at the recent Essex swing festival, there was an impromptu solo jazz competition at the social and I just had a go at some moves that I knew and learned and actually stayed in surprisingly long in the contest! I thought I'd be first out! Would be fun to be able to know what to do properly!
    Ahrgh, I find socials hard as when my husband and I don't dance, he always gets asked to dance by loads of ladies but I don't really get asked much to dance. Not least because I'm always a bit awkward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are a bit tricky. I must admit that if I were in that situation, I would find it hard too. OH is just not interested in dancing at all. I'm a bit awkward at the socials and don't like to ask anyone to dance myself yet, because I'm such a beginner and so useless at it at the moment, but I'm hoping to get better. I think the ratio of men to women tends to be that there are generally slightly more women than men, so they tend to be in constant demand, especially if they can dance well, but I do see guys sat not dancing sometimes.

      You'd probably pick up solo dancing really quickly. I've just joined the level 2 class last week, as I wanted a bit more of a challenge. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it.

      Delete