Wednesday 15 January 2020

A Week Off

Today, has been the start of my first week off work since July last, when we went to Australia. I've desperately needed some time off for a while and felt like I was working on fumes, but with Christmas and other people going on leave, this has really been the first chance I've had to take any. Besides, I do have rather a lot of leave left to take, so I needed to make a start on it.

We had a really busy weekend this weekend, as it was LB's 17th birthday yesterday, and foolishly we agreed to her having a party in the house with some of her friends. Going to parties is a regular occurrence for her, so we were pretty chilled thinking that she would be sensible. What I completely forgot, was that you can't rely on other peoples' children to be the same and after having spent a very civilised evening at a jazz gig, we came home to chaos.

I was a bit disappointed, but I realise that there wasn't really anything LB could have done to prevent it, and we'd definitely been very naïve in agreeing to the party in the first place. Needless to say, there was a lot of cleaning up to do.  It felt like our home had been violated.  Thankfully, everything is now back to normal and there wasn't too much harm done as I'd removed anything precious from the main rooms, thank goodness, but I didn't enjoy the experience, so we won't be repeating it in a hurry.

Sunday, was a day of cleaning up and then just chilling and being grateful that the party was over and we could get back to normal. Monday was LB's actual birthday and I'd bought tickets for us to go to see the musical Waitress in the West End, which was a treat.

I was back at work on Tuesday, just for the day. I'd taken my week off so that I could work at least one day of each week to help get clothing into the shop, as I am the main person responsible for this, so I spent a very intense day yesterday, trying to get on top of a very large pile of donations that had come flooding in over the weekend. I did my best, which is all I could do and was very happy to come home last night in the knowledge that I didn't have to go back for 7 whole days.

So, today, day one, has been very chilled indeed.  I went on a two hour dog walk this morning, some of which was spent in the local RSPCA shop, as the dog is allowed in. I bought myself a book and DVD, which I watched later this afternoon whilst doing some ironing. Aside from a bit of washing, I haven't actually done anything today. I think I just needed a day to decompress from work.

There are lots of things I need to do this week, including a tax return (possibly), book appointments, repeat prescriptions, attend appointments, get my hair cut, plus get up to date on all washing and ironing and other domestic tasks.

I'm thinking of having a day out and about tomorrow, and I've got a dance class tonight. I was also hoping to attend a Lindy Hop dance workshop on Sunday, but unfortunately it's sold out. I'm on the waiting list, so I'll just have to wait and see if a space comes up.  If not, I'll book another one for a couple of weeks time.  It's part of my Xmas present from OH.

Anyway, I must dash as I need to eat before heading out to my dance class.  Hopefully, I'll have a bit more time to blog this week, so see you in the next one.

8 comments:

  1. LB is 17, my goodness how quickly they grow up, glad the party was not total chaos, enjoy your week, it will pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right, it did go quickly. Just one more day to go before I go back to work. I should have booked two weeks off!

      Delete
  2. Don't they grow up so quickly - my elder daughter will be 40 this year and that makes me feel extremely vintage!
    Hope you can have a relaxing week away from work - what a shame that the party ended badly at least it may well have taught your daughter an important lesson that you cannot control others actions - not even friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just. I've had a lovely week, just one day left and a few more jobs to do before I go back to work. I feel quite rested though.

      Delete
  3. My LB is growing up quickly. I am glad that there wasn't anything precious broken or ruined.

    Enjoy your week off.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is. She got the photos back today and I think there were more people there than we were led to believe, but never mind.

      Delete
  4. OH NO!!! Knowing what friends of mine were like when we were teens, I can imagine how horrid that must have been! I was always horrified by people at parties when I was a teen. Hope you have fun during your week off!Oooh, where was the weekend Lindy workshop? Was it with Simon Selmon in Old Street? Simon is a really good teacher- I always enjoy his Lindy workshops and lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made it to the workshop as no one dropped out. It was at Bishopsgate Institute near Liverpool Street. I don't know who was teaching it though. I've now signed up for a different one in Islington in a couple of weeks, so I'm excited to do that.

      Delete