Monday 29 January 2018

Free 250 in 2018 - January

I've previously talked about how after three consecutive years of decluttering 1000 things from our house, that I don't think I'll be able to find so many more unwanted items to donate this year, so I have set my yearly total for this ongoing challenge at 250 items in 2018.  I'm calling this challenge my Free 250 in 2018 challenge, as intend to set free another 250 items into the universe, where they will hopefully be taken up and put into use by someone else.

Here's the list of items being set free this month:

1) One plastic storage box - no longer needed, as I downsized my fabric collection in December. (You know you're getting somewhere when these start to leave the house)
2) One rucksack whose interior pocket zip broke. (Sounds like a poor excuse, but this pocket fulfils a very important function for me on a daily basis, so I needed a bag with a zip that works)
3-12) 10 Christmas decorations, culled when I put everything away at the beginning of the month.
13) One PU purse that quickly became a bit scruffy - I went back to using an old leather purse instead, which seems to stay in better condition, despite regular use.
14-15) Two handmade cushion covers that I replaced when I made some new ones earlier in the month.
16-18) Three cushion inserts that are no longer needed.
19) One necklace of LB's that she no longer wants to keep.
20) One bunch of new and unused window envelopes that I just don't use.
21) One coat that is now surplus to requirements.
22) One bottle of orchid mister - I've given up on keeping orchids, I seem to kill them every time.
23) One pair of ankle boots sent to be recycled.
24) One crossbody bag I no longer want to keep.
25) One salad spinner, a bit old but still working.
26) One double quilt cover and matching pillow cases.
27) One fitted valance sheet.
28) One rag rug.
29) One t-shirt mangled by the washing machine, that will be cut up and used as yarn for my knitted rag rug. (which I'm making very little progress with)
30) One book sold on eBay.
31) One hole filled pair of OH's socks sent for recycling.

A pretty good start to the year considering the reduced number of items in this year's challenge.  Having said this, it seems to me, that every time I look around my house, there's still just way too much stuff in it. Hopefully, this means there are many more things I can donate or sell this year to reach or possibly even exceed the target.


1 comment: