Monday, 20 July 2026

OH Returns and Finally Some Cooler Weather - W/E 19th July 2026

At the start of this week, I was looking forward to OH coming home on Tuesday and judging by a call he made to me on Monday, I think he was ready to come home too. It had been an intense 10 days of riding for him and he was shattered.

On Monday, after watering the allotment and the garden, I got showered and ready to go out of town to do the weekly shop. I didn't have any vouchers to use this week and there was quite a lot of things that I needed to buy in readiness for OH coming home, so it was an expensive shop.

I ended up shopping in 7 different shops to get everything at the best price. I probably bought a bit more than I needed to, but there's no chance that it won't all get used and eaten. I did make one very serious mistake when shopping. I picked up some crumpets in the yellow stickered section, thinking they'd last me the week, but when I got them home, I discovered that they were Pizza flavoured. Who in their right mind would mess with something that is already perfect. Sorry, but eating anything pizza flavoured first thing in the morning is a big no no for me.  A definite example of sacrilege, if ever there was one.

I did visit my favourite out of town charity shop this week and spent £7 on two items that will be in the Monthly Clothing Purchase post at the end of the month. One was a black jumpsuit for £5 and the other a linen mix top for £2.

I narrowly missed having a car accident on the way home, which was scary. I'd had to stop in a layby, as my door alarm kept going off. As I pulled out of the layby, a car was pulling into my lane from an outer lane at the same time and it was a near thing. Thank goodness we didn't collide. I've mentioned before how badly people drive when I go out of town. It does put me off a bit, but I just have to have my wits about me.

Tuesday, I got up early and went to the allotment to water. I was happy to see that my dahlias are starting to flower. I've got a designated dahlia patch now, although this part of the plot does need some serious soil conditioning, as it's never been cultivated, since we've had the plot at least.  Here's a picture:




When I got back, I watered the garden. I'm back to collecting shower water and water we collect in a bowl in the kitchen sink, as both our water butts are virtually empty again and there seems to be no signs of rain in the near future.

Once all the watering was done, I headed out to the gym for my Zumba class. We had a stand in teacher today, but her class was really good. I enjoyed it. 

Whilst cycling home from the gym, I noticed that it was quite cloudy and cool for once, so when I got back, I decided to cut the ivy on our front wall, as it was starting to trail onto the pavement. I also swept the front path and step and just generally tidied up. It was nice to actually be able to do something outside for an hour without suffering in the sweltering heat.

I had a nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon, which I haven't done in a while, then when I got up I did a few small jobs I'd been putting off, such as making some more air freshener and deodorant, before doing a last bit of tidying around before OH came home in the evening. Unfortunately, his flight was delayed a couple of hours on the runway, so he was later getting back than expected.

On Wednesday, it was a little cooler in the morning due to some cloud. I didn't actually get myself out of bed to enjoy it though, as I decided on a lie in now the watering duties are shared. In all honesty, I had a pretty lazy day. I did start a new Suffolk puff project, which I'll post a photo of when I've made a bit more progress.

In the evening, OH and I went to the allotment. I planted out some sunflowers I'd grown in pots. OH was going to plant out more lettuce, but suddenly got struck down with a bad back, so I had to do the watering and the lettuce will get planted out another day.

When we got back we watched the England vs Argentina game, which was entertaining, but ultimately disappointing.

Thursday, OH's back was feeling a bit better, which is just as well as he had to venture across town to see a client. I was booked into my Aerobics class at 10 am, so headed off there. The class was good and I had a pretty quiet day when I got home. OH and I did venture to the allotment later to water and the lettuce finally got planted out.

On Friday morning, I woke up with the idea in my head to do another small patchwork project. The new hand crank sewing machine that I bought is very heavy, due to the fact that it is made of cast iron and wood, and it has already scratched the crafting table, so I decided to make a pad for it to sit on when I use it, to prevent any further damage. I spent most of the day working on this, which was a little indulgent, but enjoyable all the same.

Saturday, I got up after sleeping quite well for a change. OH was heading to the gym, so I decided to go along with him, instead of going on Sunday. I was glad to get the session done, as I find it hard to motivate myself to go at the moment and I hadn't been for a couple of weeks. It went okay and it was nice to get home knowing that the rest of the weekend was mine to do as I pleased.

I did a bit of pottering in the garden in the afternoon, dead heading and a bit of pruning mainly and then did a little more work on the sewing machine pad, which still isn't finished yet. In the evening, we watched the World Cup Bronze Medal play off match between England and France. What a game.

Sunday, was a little cooler, so I decided to spend some time in the garden washing pots that had been piling up since spring. It didn't take too long and it was nice to get them all clean and tidied away. I'm sure there'll be more, which there already are as I picked up a few larger pots and dishes that a neighbour had put out on their wall to be taken and I now need to clean these.

Our next door neighbour's dog came to stay with us for the afternoon, which was nice. We took him along to the allotment when we went to water and OH took him for a walk, before it was time for him to go home. We then had a BBQ in the garden and after we'd tidied up and I'd done the dishes, we settled down to watch the World Cup Final. A brilliant end to the competition. So happy for Spain to win. I'm not a big football fan, but I got drawn into it in the latter stages and thoroughly enjoyed it. The maturity, professionalism and sportsmanship of the players, especially some of the young players, was inspiring, save for the obvious notorious exceptions. It made for a jubilant end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment