Monday 31 October 2022

This Week - A New Start, A New Routine and A Weekend Away - W/E 29/10/22

This week got off to a very wet start on Sunday. OH was off cycling as usual. I had to wait until a break in the rain to walk the dog, so it was late by the time we got out. I saw a couple of neighbours on the dog walk and had a chat to them which was nice.

I didn't do very much for the rest of the day, as I was very tired after not sleeping well the night before, so I had a leisurely Sunday and napped on the sofa in the afternoon.

On Monday, I needed to so some laundry and complete a welcome pack online for my new job and then I went out to do the weekly shop. I stayed close to home today and shopped at our local Lidl, which was really busy. I was able to use a £2 off voucher on my shop.  I made another online sale in the afternoon, so I packed and posted it off before the postal strike the following day.

On Tuesday, I was due to have my induction for the new job, so I got up early and allowed plenty of time to get there. It's a 25 minute drive from where I live, but at peak hours it can take an hour, so I allowed extra time, just in case. I made a stupid mistake in forgetting some important documents and ended up having to go back home for them.

When I got back, my induction started. It's a huge store, much bigger than I'm used to and with so much more stock to be knowledgable about. I'm sure I'll eventually find my feet and my way around. Most of my induction involved going through different kinds of online learning and assessments.  The usual Health & Safety and other company policies, etc.  I didn't quite get all the learning done, there were two sections left, that I will need to do another day.

I spent the final hour of my shift being trained on how to work on the tills.  It was enjoyable and the time passed very quickly, as there was a constant stream of customers.  There's a lot to take in and so much to learn. The staff that I engaged with all seemed very nice and helpful. Starting a new job always feels quite overwhelming, but I'm hoping it will feel less so as I settle in. 

On Wednesday, I was working again. I did some more of the online learning and met the Store Manager who seemed very nice and clarified a lot of things for me. The rest of the shift I was working on the till, mostly on my own just serving customers.  A lot of different things cropped up and I had to ask for assistance quite a lot, but everyone was very helpful to me, which was good. I feel like I made progress today and got more comfortable on the till and finding my way around the store. I was shown how to pick some Click and Collect orders for customers ordering online. It felt like a much more productive day.

On Thursday morning, I was due to participate in some voluntary work that I'd applied to do. It was my first proper shift. It was quite physically demanding and I came away feeling quite tired. I think there was a bit more to do than normal, according to a longstanding volunteer, so maybe it won't be like that every week.

When I got home, I had to eat and then get ready to go to work again. I was working a longer shift in the afternoon and evening. To be honest, I don't know how I got through it as I was so tired. There were also a lot of complicated transactions that needed to be done on the till. By the time I got home, my brain was well and truly frazzled.

On Friday, we were due to travel up to Yorkshire to see family.  First, we needed to clean the house, as LB was coming home and some friends of hers were coming to stay. OH and I both spent most of the day cleaning and packing and then we set off late afternoon, getting to the hotel where we were staying at 9pm. We had a drink in the bar and then went to bed.

On Saturday, we had breakfast and then headed out to do a bit of shopping. Stupidly, I had forgotten to take any underwear and socks and needed to go buy some. I was annoyed with myself over this, but it's been a busy week, so I didn't give myself too hard a time. Having done that, we spent most of the rest of the day at OH's parents before meeting my sister and her husband in the evening and going for something to eat. It was lovely to see them and catch up.

It turned out to be a very hectic week. I'm hoping things will be a little less hectic next week.





2 comments:

  1. You really did have a busy week. Keeping my fingers crossed that the upcoming week isn't quite as hectic.

    It is easy to forget to pack some item when you are rushed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post of this last week and then I went on the train to Northumberland and for one half-stopping moment, I thought of you as I couldn't find my underwear in my suitcase!! "Oh no, I've done the same!" I thought, but then found it wrapped up inside something else- phew! How annoying!
    Your week sounded tiring!

    ReplyDelete