Sunday 19 September 2021

Weekly Blog - W/E 18/9/21

This week started out being a bit more productive than usual. On Sunday, I finally got around to starting work on something I've been wanting to do for a while, namely making some alterations to one of the first home made quilts that I ever made.

I made it probably 8 or 10 years ago for LB, and I used quite a few purple fabrics as it was her favourite colour at the time. As she no longer uses it, we now use it to cover the sofa, to catch any dog hair when the dog jumps up or sleeps on there.  I decided recently that I would like it to fit in more with the decor of the room, which is largely dark blue, hence the makeover.

The binding was quite faded, bobbly and coming unstitched, as I'd used a pretty cheap polycotton fabric, so I removed it and then found a fabric in my stash that would cover the purple fabrics on one side. The other side has a floral fabric with a dark blue background, so that can stay, but a navy white polka dot was found for the other side. I'm keeping it simple with just one fabric on each side this time around.

Anyway, I pinned the replacement fabric into place, but I've yet to sew it into place and then do the quilting across in rows. I'm intending to bind it using an old navy fitted sheet that needs throwing out, I'm hoping there'll be enough fabric for the project. It's the most appropriate thing I've got to use and it will save it all going into landfill or buying anything new as I don't have anything else suitable in my stash. It felt nice to work on a sewing project again, it's been a while.

My Cherryz order had been delivered to my neighbour on Saturday, so I collected it on Sunday afternoon. It meant that we were well stocked up on quite a few things and the weekly shop did not need to be so big as a consequence.

I started reading a new book this weekend, called Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. I've read a few of his books in the past and have always enjoyed them. I'm enjoying this one so far too. In it, he documents his travels around America in the early 1960's in a truck, with his poodle Charley.

I popped down to the allotment with OH later whilst on the dog walk and harvested some raspberries, whilst OH dug up the remainder of the potatoes. The growing season is soon coming to an end. I know OH will secretly be glad to put the allotment to bed for the winter.

On Monday, I decided not to go to a class at the gym. I'm going to start back next week and try the Zumba class with a friend. Instead, I walked the dog and then headed off to do the weekly shop. First stop was Home Bargains, which I haven't visited in quite a while, maybe 6 weeks or two months or so. I needed a few toiletries and other bits and I also decided to start collecting items for the Samaritan's Purse shoe box that I send every year. I found quite a few good items for the age group I'm collecting for, but I do still need to collect a few more bits.

I then headed to Lidl and unusually for me to Sainsbury's this week, to get everything else we needed. There are definitely gaps on the shelves in most stores now. It's very strange to see them, but I'm sure we'll just get used to it. It will probably get worse still in the lead up to Xmas.

Tonight, I splurged and purchased a good quality waterproof reflective jacket for cycling to work this winter. The one I ordered is super reflective, so I'm excited to see what it's like when it arrives. It was £75, which is a lot for me to spend, but it will be worth it to be properly seen and protected from the elements this winter. Nights are already drawing in and it is starting to get dark as I cycle home from work now. As I've not actually spent too much money so far this month, there's definitely room in the budget for it and it's better to buy it now before I need to start thinking about Christmas. 

Tuesday I was back at work. It was a rainy day, but I decided to risk it and ride my bike in regardless, as I can't stand the thought of wearing a mask for an extra 2 hours when I catch a bus. I was okay for 2/3 of the ride in and then it began to rain a bit heavier before easing up again, so I got a bit wet. Hopefully, I'll have my new jacket by the next time I get caught in the rain.

Work was okay. Everyone had helped with the donations and they were significantly reduced, which was great and freed me up to take clothes out of the shop which had been in too long and start to replenish the rails with new stock. It's the first time I'd done this job for almost two years, as one of our volunteers generally does it, but he was off for a few days. I really enjoyed it, as I always get satisfaction from this particular job.

On Wednesday, I had a quiet day at home. I went out with the dog, and then later in the afternoon I sat and binge watched a new series on Netflix called On the Verge. It's described as a 'dramedy' (i.e. comedy drama I presume). It is about a group of 40/50 something women living in Los Angeles and their work, families, friendships. I'm really enjoying it. It's just nice sometimes to have some down time on my days off and an occasional day on the sofa binge watching Netflix usually hits the spot for me.

Thursday was another good day at work. Although the weather is still pretty good, we decided to get some autumn/winter clothing into the shop in readiness for the weather to change. As we have bags and bags of seasonal stock put aside, we didn't want to miss out on people looking for coats and things for the coming season.

Talking of coats, my new waterproof cycling jacket arrived on Thursday, so it was there when I got home. It fits okay, a little large if anything, but I'd rather it be more roomy than too tight. I'm happy with it and I am looking forward to wearing it next time it rains and seeing how waterproof it actually is. Apparently, it is made from recycled plastic bottles, so it feels good to buy something that is helping to recycle waste.

Friday was another homey type of day. I had a nice walk with the dog in the morning and then pottered a bit at home in the afternoon, watering house plants and doing some financial stuff. I had to head out to do a very small top up shop in the afternoon and I decided to go to Lidl, as I had a £10 voucher that needed redeeming.

I also spent some time this afternoon looking for holiday cottages near Whitby or Scarborough for another week away, this time with LB coming along, which will be our first family holiday with all of us present this year. 

We were thinking of going to France, as we don't want to leave the dog with anyone, but the vets that OH has contacted don't seem interested in helping us get a pet health certificate and our usual vetinary practice doesn't have a vet who is qualified to sign them.  Anyway, we've more or less decided to go to Yorkshire again and combine the break with visiting family. It will hopefully be the week of my birthday, so I'll be very happy not to be at work that week. There are quite a few properties available, but some are quite expensive. OH says he doesn't mind splashing out a bit for a good one, as it will be our main family holiday this year. I'm feeling quite excited about it.

In the evenings this week, OH and I have been watching the three part documentary series about the Cardiff 5, called A Killing in Tiger Bay on iPlayer. It was extremely interesting and I'd recommend anyone to watch it.

On Saturday, I woke up early and was ready for work by 9 am. As OH was walking the dog, I decided to go into work early, rather than twiddle my thumbs at home, so I worked virtually the whole day rather than from 12 noon. It was the busiest day we've had since before Lockdown, so there was plenty of work to do. Things are picking up in Central London now and almost getting back to normal footfall, which is good.

I was glad to get home in the evening. After supper, I watched a documentary on Netflix about US Music/Film producer David Geffin which was really interesting. Worth a watch. I didn't know much about him before watching this, but he has done some amazing things in his career.

So here we are at the end of another week. They are flying by very quickly at the moment. I'm starting to think about Christmas, especially with dire warnings about shortages of certain foods. I might start picking the odd thing up each week in the weekly shop.

Hope you had a good week.



2 comments:

  1. Your week sounds very productive. Like your husband, mine will be happy to get the yard and garden cleaned up and settled for winter.

    I really like the idea of a single fabric on the front and the back of the quilt and I am sure you can salvage enough fabric from the sheet to bind it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used our friends accommodation in Scarborough it is only a terraced house situated between the North and South Bay but very convenient. The price however (it is managed by Sykes Cottages) had almost doubled from last year from £450 to £900 for a week. (My friend doesn't set the prices this is done by the company) so good luck finding somewhere. If you decide to go to anything like the castle or Sea Life centre check for discounts online when you book we got 50% off the castle entry fees form a Marks Sparks card offer - well worth having. Most major attractions you have to book at the moment but any of the more local attractions, like the little train, and a lot of the cafes and stalls etc on the South Bay in particular are mostly cash only - I have not used cash much for over a year since lockdown but a lot of Scarborough is cash only.
    I see there is a lack of dried fruit in our Sainsbury's but I have so far managed to buy a packet of raisins and dried apricots up here in Scotland ready for making the Christmas cake.x

    ReplyDelete