Saturday 28 August 2021

Weekly Blog - W/E 28th August 2021 - My Covid Diary

This week started with my taking another PCR test. I developed a cough on Saturday, (just as well that I wasn't at work) so I booked a test the following day. In the circumstances, of LB having tested positive, I had no option.

My test result came back positive on Sunday, so I am now officially self-isolating for 10 days. I started off just feeling like I had a mild cold, which then progressed to more flu like symptoms.

The first day, Monday, I spent most of it in bed, firstly phoning around trying to organise what was going to happen at the shop for the week and how the team were going to keep it open as much as possible.  Luckily, some of our volunteers have been brilliant in the midst of this crisis and are taking on extra responsibility for opening and closing the shop.

The rest of the first day I spent sleeping on and off and reading my current book, which was a bit depressing to be honest. I was glad when I'd finished it and could read something a bit more cheerful. Paracetamol and sleep seemed to help.

On Tuesday, after a much better night's sleep, I was still feeling rough, but I managed to drag myself out of bed in the morning, have a shower, get dressed into normal clothes, change the bedding, do a bit of laundry, make some breakfast, do some work on my finances, etc. So that was progress. There were lots of things I could have done at home if I'd felt up to it, but that was about as much as I could manage that day.

Later, I started a new book, which was thankfully a bit more cheerful. I replied to a few work emails and did little else in the afternoon. My sense of taste and smell went this afternoon, which has reduced my appetite, as things just don't taste very nice. 

Early evening I binge watched a series called I AM on iPlayer. It was quite good, but not the most cheerful subject matter. There's still three more episodes to watch at some point. What I really need though is a good laugh or something a bit more upbeat to watch.

I didn't get a good night's sleep on Tuesday, on account of feeling very anxious about having the virus and worrying about how it might develop, but inspite of this, I didn't feel too bad on Wednesday. I had a lazy morning in bed. Still very little appetite, which suits me well, as I'd be happy to lose a bit of weight, although I'll probably just put it straight back on when I my self-isolation is over.

Wednesday, was LB's last day of self-isolation, and she was due to return to work on Thursday. She had no infectious symptoms, just a loss of taste and smell, which apparently can last for weeks. She got given 6 shifts back to back including several late nights. It seemed a bit rotten to me, as she won't get to see her friends at all in the next 6 days after coming out of self-isolation. She was pretty upset about it, as they all go off to Uni in a few weeks. In the end, she decided to leave her job and try to find something closer to home. We're quite happy for her to do this, as all the travelling after midnight from Central London does cause me to worry about her and I end up having late nights waiting up for her to come in.

I spent most of the rest of the day pottering around the house, putting away laundry, tidying around the bedroom, watering indoor plants, pottering in the garden and picking a few dahlias to cheer myself up, as one particular plant is glorious with huge pink and yellow blooms. 

I also placed another Cherryz order, as I had a code for free postage and I won't be getting out to shop anytime soon. I guess it's a sign that I'm recovering, that I feel like doing such things. I only took a couple of paracetamol in the evening, to help get a good night's sleep and that was it for the day, which is progress. I tend to start to feel a bit worse as the day wears on and usually spend most of the evening in bed.

Thursday, I woke up feeling much better after a very good night's sleep. I had a lazy morning in bed watching a few YouTube videos. One in particular was good, it was Dr Hope's Sick Notes with Dr Sonia. 

Dr Hope is a lovely doctor working in A&E in the UK, who recently got Covid himself for the first time, despite being fully vaccinated, and his colleague Dr Sonia is an anaesthetist in ICU. They tell you how the Covid situation is in their hospital and it makes for very interesting watching. If you're thinking that things are getting back to normal now everything is opening back up, just remember it's still out there, as my experience proves. I started watching this channel during Lockdown and still enjoy this kind of video from him.

My own personal view is that the new rules of not self isolating after coming into contact with people who test positive for Covid, especially if you live with them, are risky. Whilst I know that we do have to get back to normal I do feel that it is going to lead to a big increase in the numbers of people testing positive in the next few weeks and months. I don't mean to sound negative, but it's just my experience. I was fully vaccinated and was ultra careful who I came into contact with whilst out and about. I cycled to work not coming into contact with anyone, we are a small household with plenty of rooms to accommodate us virtually living seperately, but some people don't live in spacious accommodation and may not be careful and it's bound to have a knock on effect out there, so do continue to protect yourselves when you are out and about.

Anyway, later, I got up and had a shower. I'm still really not eating much at the moment. I just don't feel that hungry and the taste thing doesn't help. Days are going by slowly, but I'm starting to relax into my self-isolation as the week goes on and I feel better. Hoping all I have to do is just sit it out now.

On Thursday afternoon, I cleaned around the bathroom, changed and washed LB's bedding, duvet and pillows, aired the room and mattress, cleaned around a bit, put out clean towels for her and I will put new bedding on the bed before she gets home late tonight, so it's all clean for her now she's out of self-isolation. I also did some more laundry and opened windows to let fresh air in all over the house.

It was past midnight by the time she got home and fell into bed. I think she was glad that I'd tidied around for her and put a hot water bottle in. It turned a bit cold today.

Friday, I had a slow morning again. I got up and made some breakfast and then took it back to bed which is my usual routine of late. There were a couple of small issues to do with work that I tried to iron out, but it's difficult to get involved when you're supposed to be on sick leave. I don't want to tread on anyone's toes.

My Cherryz order arrived today in two boxes, such was the size of it. There were a few swap outs that I wasn't too thrilled with, but I was glad to have it. 

Friday, was another similar day to all of the above. I'm feeling okay, I still have a cough and loss of taste and smell, but I am otherwise fine. I'm thankful that having had the vaccine, I didn't suffer any seriously bad symptoms. It's been a tough week though mentally. I don't like being confined at home, but sometimes it just has to be be done. 

On Friday night, we watched the last episode of Season 4 of The Handmaid's Tale, which was good.

Saturday and another week ends. Our neighbours on one side went away again today. As a consequence, I'm going to spend some time in the garden this weekend. I haven't liked to go out there, knowing their kids are playing out there. I desperately need some fresh air though, so it's happened at just the right time and there's a few jobs I can do out there.

Today, I made some home made dog food out of some offal I had bought and stored in the freezer a few weeks ago.  It's one time that I was happy not to be able to smell anything. 

Only three more days of self isolation left after today. I'm looking forward to a new week and eventually getting back to normal again.

I know this has probably been a bit of a boring blog, but I hope it gave you some idea of what it's been like living with Covid this past week, although I do hope that you don't get to experience it for yourself.

Hopefully, next week's blog will be a much more upbeat one.


3 comments:

  1. I hope the time goes by quickly, it's good to hear neither of you were not to ill. We do have to live with this virus, but it's scary to see numbers are rising, I think this winter will be scary again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your update ..sorry you’ve be poorly and wish you well soon ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that you ended up testing positive and having to isolate. Hopefully this next week will see even greater improvements.

    I agree with you on them saying you don't have to isolate if you come in contact with Covid 19. I think this is what is continuing the spread. One of our provinces here is saying they will no longer test unless the case is really bad and they will not contact trace. Their numbers are rising like crazy. My province is having an uptick as well. Hence the mask is back on my face.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete