Friday 4 June 2021

2021 Reads

It's been a busy year on the reading front, starting slowly but gathering pace in February and March during Lockdown. In total by the end of April I'd read 27 books so far this year, which is probably the most I've read in a long time. It came about because I had a shelf with about 50 fictions books on it that I'd never read. I had run out of non-fiction books, which were my preferred read, so decided to concentrate on getting back into reading fiction, mainly so that I could declutter most of them. (I rarely read a book twice)

Anyway, here's a list with the ones I liked the best and would recommend.

January

Reviving Retail by Doug Stephens - This was a non-fiction book I read as I work in retail and it was an interesting read with interesting ideas about the future of retail. Very topical post pandemic.

Fashionopolis by Dinah Thomas - Again another non-fiction book about the clothing industry and how it is slowly becoming more sustainable thanks to designers such as Stella McCartney amongst others and their efforts to use sustainable fabrics and materials. It was interesting to note that there are many technologies now available to recycle many waste products and it did encourage me in this respect, although there is still an awful lot of wastage and pollution from the clothing industry.

The Flavours of Love by Dorothy Koomson

Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussman

Gillespie and I by Jane Harris

The above 3 books were all bought from Poundland and although they were reasonably good reads, I don't know if I would recommend them. For £1 they were entertaining enough.

February

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - This book was recommended by a friend from the gym and it took me a long time to get around to reading it, but it was such a good read. So sad in parts, but excellent. Would definitely recommend. 

A Perfect Marriage - Alison Booth

The Third Wife - Lisa Jewell - I like most of the Lisa Jewell books that I have read and this is no exception. It's basically about the complications of blended families.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce - This was a great book that follows Harold on his pilgrimage/journey, walking the length of the UK to see an old work colleague who is dying of cancer. A very good read which may have you in tears at some point.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson - This book was a Virago Modern Classic that has been on my bookshelf for an age. I didn't think I would like it, but it was nothing like I expected and was a really fun read set in the 1930's I think.

A Certain Age - Tana Janowitz  - This book was a difficult one to read. It chronicles the efforts of an attractive woman working in NYC, to marry into money in 1980's New York. Having almost reached the age of 30 and in danger of being left on the shelf in terms of making a suitable match, it documents the efforts she goes to to snag a rich husband and how this leads her down a very slippery slope. Entertaining but very dark, with a great twist at the very end. The reviews compare it to Edith Wharton's House of Mirth set in 1800's New York. I read this book later and could see the similarities.

Annie May's Black Book - Debby Holt 

For One More Day  by Mitch Albam

March

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler - This book was interesting and for a while you are lulled into thinking that this is a story about the death or separation of a child from it's siblings and it's effect on a family. Not so, read on and find out what this story is really about and it will quite surprise you. 

The Optimists - Andrew Miller

Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee - Once again a book set in NYC about the life of Korean immigrants trying to find their version of the American Dream and happiness. A really good read

The Real Katie Lavender - Erica James 

The Misinterpretation of Tara Jupp by Eva Rice - This was another book bought from Poundland and I put off reading it, as I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it, but when I finally did open it up I really enjoyed the story. Set in 1950's and 60's England the main character eventually becomes a singer in swinging 60's London. The story follows her from a childhood in Devon to the bright lights of the metropolis. I have since bought another book by this author on eBay, which follows the life of another character from this book.

How I Live Now - Meg Roscoff - I think this might be a teenage read, but it was quite a good one although confusing at times.

Homestead - Rosanna Lippi

Territorial Rights - Muriel Spark - Normally, I love everything by Muriel Spark, but I wasn't so keen on this one set in Venice.

The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessey by Rachel Joyce - This book follows the character of the object of Harold Fry's pilgrimage and provides a different side of the story from Rachel Joyce's book about him. It is another great read and I loved finding out more about the character in this book.

The Outcast - Sadie Jones -  This books tells the story of a troubled young boy whose life changes after the sudden death of his mother. Set in post war England. A very good read.

April

The Jane Austin Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler - Another book by this author. I liked this one, which explores the lives of the members of a Jane Austin book reading club. It reminded me how much I like Jane Austin's writing and inspired me to re-watch one of the film versions of one of her books around the same time, namely Emma. (It also inspired me to re-watch Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte too, which I also loved.)

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton - This book, tells the story of women's life in high society NYC in the 1800's. Written by Wharton, a New York socialite herself, it depicts a young woman of reduced means'  attempt to find a suitable husband amongst the snobbish and ultra conservative higher social eschelons of New York at this time. I found this a difficult book to read, as it describes the difficulties for women in this era, whose only option in life seemed to be to find a suitable husband or live out their lives in relative poverty with little or no social status. The main character in this book, although very frustrating at times and snobbish herself, eventually finds herself at the mercy of various unscrupulous people, who try to exploit her. It's a sad tale, which I didn't enjoy reading at the time, but with hindsight I appreciate why it is such a classic.

Daughters of the House by Michele Roberts

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - This is a great read, telling the story of a House on a big rural Estate in southern England through the decades from the late 19th Century through two world wars and beyond. It incorporates the story of it's inhabitants and domestic staff leading up to the mysterious death of a family friend that occurred there. The main narrator, is a former servant who worked at the house and who gradually reveals the truth about what really happened.

As you can see from this post, there's been a lot of reading so far this year. Some of the books I can barely remember, but the ones that stayed with me I have tried to review. My pace of reading will slow considerably now I'm back at work, so the next review of books won't be so long hopefully. I hope some of the above books may appeal to some of you to read yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Love your reading list. I am going to have to look for a few of those.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a few of those titles, but this year my big cross stitch took most of my time, but I am back reading now, once I have pottered in the garden each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read quite a few of your books this year- I really liked Miss Pettigrew AND Elinor Oliphant and recently bought my colleague a copy of Miss Pettigrew as I loved it so much! I'm intrigued to read the House of Mirth now.

    ReplyDelete