Sunday 18 April 2021

Lockdown W/E 17th April 2021

It's been an interesting and slightly eventful week and although we are coming out of Lockdown, it's not really officially over yet.

Work wise, I've enjoyed getting back into the daily/weekly swing of things, working in the stockroom, sorting and pricing donations ready to go in the shop, has been for the most part enjoyable. Most of the less interesting preparatory work of getting the stock take done and preparing the shop for re-opening has now finished and I can now focus on my usual duties, which is what I enjoy most.

I had to go to work much earlier one day to be present for a collection of stock, so I used the extra couple of hours to clean the shop windows, which we hadn't had time to do before we actually opened.  Ridiculous I know, but the stock take took the majority of our time and was a priority, as it had to be done by a certain date. Saturday, was unsurprisingly the busiest day of the week for donations and many donations came through the door. Many of them will still be awaiting me when I return to work on Tuesday, so I can see next week being a much busier one.

On my days off, I've still had to deal with a few work issues at home, but I think I've finally broken through and got on top of things. I had some IT issues to sort out and then did a thorough de-cluttering of my work email, which felt very satisfying. I've also had a few phone calls and emails to send, but nothing too onerous. I know it's just for the first week or so until the Shop Manager is back and takes the reins again, so I don't mind too much.

In other news, I got a shock at the beginning of the week when I received a summons for Jury Service. I can't say I was happy about it, as it isn't something I relish, but I don't really have a choice. I'd been summoned once before, just before Christmas several years ago, but didn't actually have to serve on a jury at that time, as many of the cases didn't proceed, it being so close to Christmas. I can't imagine that it will be the same this time around. Many people might relish the opportunity, but it's not really something that I find myself looking forward to.

Anyway, as a consequence, I'm going to be away from the shop for at least 10 days in a few months time. I did consider trying to defer, but I didn't really have a valid enough reason, so I'm probably just going to proceed on the date I've been summoned. It has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works with regard to work,  and I don't know how my Manager will feel about it, but what can I do?

Apart from this, I've had a reasonable week. I managed to catch up on some ironing and laundry on my days off, had lie ins reading my book and did a weekly shop towards the end of the week, but that's about as much as I managed.  One good thing, has been that my no spend days for the first half of April have been pretty good. I've managed 12 so far. My restraint may yet fall to pieces in the latter half of the month though.

The weather has been quite good too, although a little chilly and I've had a few nice long walks with the dog, when I've not been rushing out to work.

The garden is coming to life again too and greening up considerably, which always feels promising. The small maple that I bought during the first Lockdown and which seemed to die off suddenly, has come back to life and looks very pretty. I've moved it and I am hoping it will fare better in it's new position.




In addition, the amaryllis I bought before Christmas is finally flowering for the second time and looking very lovely on the windowsill.




I haven't done much sewing this week. I just haven't been feeling it really, but it will keep. 

It feels good to have an occupation outside of the house again. Life feels like it is slowly getting back to normal, for us at least, but I still haven't set foot inside a shop, other than the one I work in or a supermarket. To be honest, I don't have a lot of spare cash to spend and other than a few bits for the house, there isn't really much that I need at all. 

I did place an order with Big Green Smile this week for 3 large boxes of dishwasher tabs, which were on offer 3 for the price of 2. I recently tried some new eco dishwasher tabs, but they cause deposits of calcium on glasses, so I've had to go back to my previous eco brand and I won't be budging again. I only swapped because the new ones weren't each supplied in a small plastic wrapper. I ordered a few eco skincare bits too, partly to get free delivery, but also as I've decided that I need to be more thorough in my skincare routine as I get older, so some collagen face cream, hyaluronic face serum and peptide eye gel are all heading my way, which is quite exciting. It wasn't expensive - maybe £25 for the lot and I qualified for a free facial oil from the same brand, if they still have any left. I also bought a 5 litre bottle of white vinegar for pickling for £8 as I use it all the time. A bit of an outlay at £65 all told, but should keep me going for a while.

LB went to the pub with friends for the first time this week, now she is officially 18.  She seemed to enjoy the experience. She also celebrated a couple of friends' birthdays in small gatherings outside and got another university place offer, so she's had a pretty good week.

I hope you've had a good week too.




2 comments:

  1. Pretty good week here, though we have had some new restrictions, or rather old restrictions reinstated. Nothing we can not handle though.

    Your amaryllis is a beautiful colour.

    I am glad that you are enjoying being back at work.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're happy to be back at work.

    At the moment we've restricted over the door donations to Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, which helps quite a lot. The phone is constantly ringing with people asking about donations too, which means we can help manage the flow. The changing rooms are still full of stock from before lockdown!

    Skincare is the next thing I need to attend to, a little research needed.

    ReplyDelete