Wednesday 17 March 2021

New Lockdown Quilting Project

This week, despite previous protestations to the contrary, I decided to embark on making yet another hand pieced quilt. After a few weeks of not doing any sewing, I was getting withdrawal symptoms and wanted to start something new. To be honest, I have so much fabric that I need to use for something and quilting is an ideal and very enjoyable use.

As always, I started by deciding what shape the pieces were going to be and I decided that this time around I was going to do something a little different and use smallish slim rectangles, a bit like I used on some rows of my recent new sewing machine cover. I figured, that being small pieces, the project would take me a good long time, as it will be a double quilt, and I quite like the look of the narrow rows. I've not made a large quilt exactly like this before, so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Here's a picture of the size of the rectangles:

They are approximately 4.75cm x 12.75cm. I then proceeded to cut out lots of paper pieces, ready to start.

The next job, was to choose some fabrics to use. I have such a big stash that this took a while, but I found some pieces that I thought would work and which enabled me to get started. Here's a picture of the ones I chose:


I've gone for mainly ditsy prints, as these tend to work really well when using smaller pieces and when quilting using the paper piecing method.  A couple are from my Laura Ashley vintage collection and others are one's I've picked up over the years, with a view to using for quilting at some point. I've gone for reds, greens and browns, which might sound like a strange combination, but I'm hoping it will work okay. I'm not entirely sure how it will come together yet, I'm hoping that that will become more apparent when I get whole actual rows finished.

I'm aiming to spend an hour or two each day working on the project, for the remainder of Lockdown, and then as much as I have time for once I return to work. I suspect it will take the best part of this year to finish, which should keep me occupied.

I'll keep you posted with progress as it happens.

3 comments:

  1. It does feel good to have a huge project on the go, days can be long and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I think the colour combination will work well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your colour combinations! The materials are lovely!

    ReplyDelete