Friday 7 February 2020

Normality Evades Me

So much for all my good intentions of getting back to normality this week.  More or less as soon as I wrote that, I came down with a head cold, which has prevented business as usual, because I haven't felt up to doing too much.

I still went to work on Tuesday and Wednesday, it was in fact Wednesday that the cold started.  As a consequence, taking two dance classes after work was hard.  I think that even my balance was affected by the cold, as when I tried to do a couple of moves, I felt very dizzy which I've never experienced before.

Wednesday night I didn't sleep well, on account of the cold and the churning over of the day's events, so on Thursday I was a bit of a zombie.  I still managed to get out of the house and go to the local mall to get my hair cut though.  It was long overdue.  I won't say how long. It felt better to get the ends tidied up and another item was ticked off the to do list.

I also bought myself a new sports bra whilst I was out, from M&S.  I was down to my last one and I wanted one that I could wear to go dancing in, that wasn't too high impact, but was still supportive. I'd seen a design I liked online, but wanted to try it on and when I did I decided to buy it.

The only other thing I bought was a new watch strap, which cost £10 to buy and get fitted. Mine was looking very tatty after just 6 weeks of wear, which was a bit disappointing.  I'm hoping the new one will last a little longer. I did a very small top up shop too, just bread and milk really.

Then I came home and had a snooze on the sofa for an hour before walking the dog later.

Today, after a much better night's sleep I woke up feeling a bit more energetic. I hung out some washing I'd done the night before, took the dog out and caught up on a bit of blog reading, which I haven't done for a while.

LB had a day off college, due to her teacher being sick, so OH treated us all to lunch out at a local café, which was nice. We don't do it very often, so when we do it's a nice treat.

The rest of the afternoon I spent pottering and getting LB to put my hair in rollers. Tonight is another social dancing night.  I booked it before the cold came on, so I may just do the class at the beginning of the night and then come home, or I may stay for an hour and watch everyone dancing. It is good to see it in the flesh so to speak and who knows, I may even get the chance to strut my stuff. I don't go with any expectations.  Even just doing the class keeps me practising. I'd like to take more classes, but I can't justify it financially at the moment

Despite spending money yesterday, I'm trying to curb spending as much as possible this month.  I've been very spendy over the last 8 weeks or so and I need to get back to a good place in relation to my finances, as I'm continually broke.

Next month, my gym membership ceases, as I have cancelled it and signed up Pay As You Go. That will save me at least £30 per month.  I only attend one class per week now and the teacher of that class is leaving to have a baby very soon, so I may not even keep going to that one in future. I am going to try to, as it is a good way to keep in touch with friends at the gym. I've been meaning to change my membership for years now and thankfully I've finally got around to it. Currently I'm paying £60 per month, so that will no longer be coming out of my account from 1st March, which will help.

Not eating meat as a family, has also had an effect on the food budget. I don't seem to spend as much money on food, which is a good thing. We have also been eating down the Brexit stash though, which probably isn't a good idea, as it is in the next few months, now we have left the EU, that we will start to feel a difference if there is going to be one. I'm going to keep an eye on stock levels in the supermarkets and watch out for any shortages of things over the next few weeks, which might indicate possible problems going forward. It will be an interesting exercise.

I'll keep you posted on any observations.


3 comments:

  1. Please do keep us posted on any observations re Brexit.

    I hope your head cold leaves as quickly as it arrived.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better by now - I imagine your dancing is as good an exercise session as going to the gym. I need to get a grip on our finances too - the car has taken such a lot of money recently I now need to curb our spending on other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good that the gym will make you savings and the non-meat eating. Hope the cold is now gone!

    ReplyDelete