Wednesday 9 October 2019

Things Get Better

Since my last post, I have to report that life has got a bit better. I was very angry and disappointed by what happened to our car, and we've been without it for almost a week. 

On Monday, I had to take my trolley bag on the bus to the gym and then fit all my grocery shopping into it, before getting back on the bus.  It really made me appreciate having had a car, but it also made me realise that doing the shopping with a trolley bag is very doable.  I only spent about £50, so it did cut my grocery bill this week, as it made me focus on only buying what was essential.

After ringing around garages and car parts companies, OH was expecting us to be without our car for at least a couple of weeks.  The police advise you not to put a Toyota part back in the car to prevent it being stolen again, but the insurance and Toyota dealerships won't replace it with anything else.

Our insurance excess was £350, so it was going to cost us quite a bit to go down the insurance route. There was also a possibility that they might write off the car if they couldn't get a part for it, which was ridiculous, so when I received a message from OH yesterday, to say the car was being repaired and would be back with us that evening, I was really surprised and delighted. 

After having a conversation with a Prius driving Uber driver on Monday night, on his way to the Velodrome, OH managed to source a local(ish) garage and got it fixed himself, without claiming on the insurance. Serendipity, if you ask me. It did cost nearly £600, but our car is back on the road and hopefully we won't lose our no claims. More importantly, we're hoping that the part won't get stolen again as a security plate has been added to the car and the new part isn't the Toyota one, which is being targeted.  I'm hoping it will now run as well as before and with no problems.

In other news, work went much better yesterday and I managed to get on top of a job that has been hanging over me for months, which felt very satisfying. It will make a difference to my work day going forward, as it will help to reduce my feeling of overwhelm most days and allow me a bit of freedom to concentrate on other areas of work in the stockroom and shop.

LB has now been cast in her college production of Chicago.  It's a supporting role, but she's very happy to have a part and is looking forward to starting rehearsals tonight.  She also went for a part-time job interview yesterday and thinks she might have got herself a new part-time job, which is good news.  I admire her get up and go.  The hours of her previous part-time job seem to have dwindled since the summer, so she's just gone out and got another. Good for her.

It feels like we've weathered the bump in the road, and things are picking up a bit. Touch wood.

Thank you to everyone who offered me moral support.  I really appreciate it.






6 comments:

  1. I am happy that you got your car fixed quickly. I know shopping without a car can be difficult.

    Congratulations to LB for getting a part in my Hubby's favourite musical.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. It is such a relief to get it back on the road. Needless to say the insurance company still hasn't done anything about getting it fixed, so it's just as well OH did.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your car issues -theft of something is never pleasant for the person on the receiving end. I had a similar problem with my old car because the spare wheel was mounted underneath the car and people stole them. Mine was stolen from the carpark that I parked in everyday whilst at work. I even saw the theives drive off in their van - they must have only just taken it but the police were not interested. Glad you have managed to sort it and hopefully it won't happen again but doesn't it make you nervous to leave your car.
    Well done to your daughter for the initiative to get another job and for her part in the production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. I just don't understand why people want to earn their living stealing from others, but then I guess I don't know their circumstances. It does frustrate me though that no one is interested in bringing them to justice.

      Delete
  3. Great news about the car, I love it when a chance conversation leads to something.

    Hope the part time job comes to something, I'll keep my fingers crossed for LB. Pleased to hear work has picked up for you too, it makes such a difference to get things done and off your mental list.

    I've been really surprised how relaxed I've felt since I've been off with my bad back, so much so I am quitting the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the car is being repaired but it's rubbish that it HAS to be repaired! Most unfair! Well done to LB- that's great to be cast! Glad the trolley worked out when shopping too though!x

    ReplyDelete