Thursday 28 March 2019

The Spring Clean Begins

A couple more days into my week off and I've well and truly got started with Spring Cleaning the house.  I have to admit that on Tuesday, I didn't really know where to start.  I pottered around a bit to begin with, pickling some beetroot I'd harvested from the allotment and doing the washing up, before deciding to get properly stuck into cleaning the kitchen.  This is probably the most used room and it's a room I spend a lot of time in, so when it gets dirty, it really does bother me. I watched a few YouTube videos as I cleaned, as it always keeps me from getting too bored.

All of the kitchen cabinet fronts got cleaned and I cleaned inside most of the drawers and cupboards.  I didn't take everything out of every cupboard, as the insides weren't actually all that dirty, I just cleaned the fronts of the shelves where they seem to get the dirtiest.  I know this is a bit of a cheat, but it's one I can live with.  With so much else to do in the house, I had to prioritise what was essential and what wasn't.

All the worktops were cleared and cleaned down and I tried to thin things out a little, as over time stuff accumulates and needs dispersing again. I always love it when I eventually get around to vacuuming and mopping the floor, as this is always the most obviously dirty bit of the room. I don't think I've tackled the kitchen thoroughly since before Christmas, so it felt good to get on top of it again. Everything feels a lot more hygienic now.

On Wednesday, I got an earlier start and continued up through the house, tackling the downstairs vestibule, toilet, hall and stairs.  This at least means that the house looks clean when you come in the front door, which it hasn't in at least a month. Now the weather has turned warmer, it shouldn't get quite so dirty, but with a dog and OH's bikes coming in and out, it doesn't ever stay clean for very long.

I spent the afternoon ironing and watching a new series I've found on Netflix about a jazz bar in Brazil.  It's quite interesting. I can't quite remember the name as I write this, but it helped me with the monotony of the ironing at least.

I needed to do it, because today I'm tackling the two reception rooms, one of which houses the laundry on a day to day basis, so I wanted to clear some of it out of the way to make life easier for myself.

Bit by bit, the house is getting cleaner.  I can't say I'm enjoying it, but sometimes these things just have to be done and now is as good a time as any. I'm going to break up the week with a trip to Poundland and ASDA today for a small top up food shop and a few very small bits that I need.  Not exactly a shopping trip, more a necessary distraction from the housework for an hour.

I'll post any further progress later in the week, when hopefully, I should have done most of the cleaning and can finally breathe a sigh of relief.


2 comments:

  1. I have managed to get the front of the house pretty much cleaned. Harvey needs to do the windows though.

    Next week I start on the bedrooms and hallway.

    Enjoy your trip to Poundland and ASDA.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I should do this too! I really hate cleaning! On Saturday though, I decided I really needed to clean the En Suite as it is truly disgusting at the moment and it was very hard work and made me wish I was better at cleaning it.Also wishing my husband would clean it too! It did feel good t have done it though. It smelt very nice after!

    ReplyDelete