Monday 20 November 2017

My Weekend

After my recent post about work, I'm pleased to say that my weekend got off to a good start, as work on Friday was a whole lot better than it had been on my previous shift.  I was working with a new colleague who is working the other part of my job in the lead up to Christmas. (It's a full-time post, but I only work 3 days, so she is working the other two).  She seemed very nice and was easy to work alongside. I'm hopeful that we'll get along okay, although it will probably be a rare occurrence for us to actually work together.

There was a small challenge that I'd not actually been faced with before and she was able to help me with it, as she'd had experience of it as a volunteer elsewhere, which was good. In addition, I was working with a couple of volunteers that I get on well with and find very easy to work with, so the day passed in quite a happy blur of activity. These are the kind of days when I really enjoy my job.

There's always more work to do than you can possibly manage to achieve in a day, and although I would have liked to have achieved more, I felt like I'd done a good day's work. I generally enjoy the days that I am in sole charge of the shop, (albeit I was sharing the responsibility on this occasion) as I feel that I can get on with what I consider to be the priorities. On some days there can sometimes be differences of opinion that influence the work I end up doing and make me feel less empowered.

Anyway, when I got home it was our usual Pizza night.  LB was supposed to be staying at a friend's house, but she returned home feeling a little unwell, and spent the night with us instead, which I was secretly happy about.  (Not that she was unwell, but that she was home with us!) We all sat down to watch a series about Donald Trump on the TV, about his past business and personal life, which makes very interesting viewing.  Is anyone else watching it?

Saturday, I spent most of the day just pottering at home, doing some work on my small business and catching up on my personal finances and other small tasks. Later, in the afternoon, OH and I took the dog out for a walk and ended the walk at the pub, where some neighbours were having a farewell gathering, as they are moving out of London shortly. I'm excited for them as they are doing what we thought about a lot but never could commit ourselves to doing, i.e. selling up here and virtually buying a house outright elsewhere.  They have a youngish (i.e. primary school aged) family and they have been finding London way too expensive. 

We had a couple of drinks and wished them all the best in the future, before returning home and then heading out with LB to a local cinema in our neighbourhood, that was crowd funded recently and has been up and running for a while now.  It was our first visit, but it was very comfortable, almost like sitting in your living room, with a bunch of strangers.  A good experience though.

The film we went to see was The Florida Project, about a single mum and her young daughter, scratching a living in Orlando, Florida.  It was a really good film.  A bit gritty, but humorous with it. The ending was a little unusual though.

Sunday, I managed to catch my usual class at the gym for the first time in 3 weeks, which felt good.  I did the grocery shopping on the way home and then just had a very lazy afternoon, doing virtually nothing productive.  I guess we all need down time sometimes.

Today, I was back at the gym again and was able to meet up with a dear friend who I hadn't seen for a month.  We are hopefully having a pre-Christmas meet up for lunch next week, with a couple of others and we will all be able to catch up properly then. When I get back to the gym, I realise how much I miss it and miss seeing my friends, when I can't get there because of work. All work and no play, as they say, makes for a very dull life.

The rest of today, was also leisurely. I did a bit of cleaning upstairs in the bedrooms, but my heart wasn't in it to be honest.  I may do more later in the week or next weekend, as I should be off work again, all being well.

I'm back at work tomorrow, and not particularly looking forward to it.  It's funny how one minute you can be really enjoying something and the next you think and feel completely differently about it. Sadly, in my experience there are far too many people out there who take pleasure in bursting your bubble in life. I think I just might need to try and distance myself from any negativity, which is just so draining of one's time and energy and really doesn't help productivity and progress.





5 comments:

  1. You sound more upbeat after your lovely weekend. I agree negativity really does drain a person. Try and distance yourself from those who would bring you down.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been slightly better this week Jackie, but I've not got to the end of it yet!!

      Delete
  2. After a really positive post I was sorry to read your last paragraph. I realise how negative I was at the end of my time as co- manager at the charity shop and my line manager took the brunt when I ranted.
    I hope your week goes well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can easily do that to you Penny. I wouldn't worry. I try not to let the pressure get to me, as you can only do your best, given your circumstances. I also try not to expect too much of myself or others. It's easy to feel disappointed if you do, as things rarely go to plan on any given day. I'm just happy if I get through the day, we've made progress, made good sales and everyone is happy enough in their work.

      Delete
  3. So glad you had a more positive day at work and a good weekend.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete