Saturday 31 December 2016

Feeling a Little Disinclined

Since getting the news mentioned in my previous post, I'm feeling a little unenthusiastic about the thought of any New Year celebrations this year, as I'm still feeling a little numb and thus not feeling particularly motivated.

In spite of this, I've finished reading a book this morning and started on a new one.  The book I finished was Looptail by Bruce Poon Tip, a Canadian social entrepreneur, whose adventure travel company is making a big difference to the places to which he takes his customers.  It was an interesting read.  A very pay it forward minded individual, that one can only admire.

The new book I've started is Carl Honore's In Praise of Slow.  In some of the reviews, it suggests that you read this book about the Slow Movement, by concentrating on just a chapter a day, to give you time to absorb it nice and slowly, so I made myself put it down after completing the first chapter. I can't, however, promise I won't pick it up again tonight when I go to bed, as I am enjoying it so far.

Today, I have also written a list of aims for 2017, and looked through the aims I had for last year, to see how many I managed to achieve. Not that many in reality, although a few important ones did get met, particularly the one about getting a cholesterol test, which was more important than I realised in view of it being found to be very high.

I don't hold too much store by these resolutions, but I find myself wanting to make them just the same, to help keep me moving forward.

With that done, I started thinking about trying to get back to some sort of normality, which, of course, meant writing a food shopping list. We're planning a very ordinary lunch on New Year's Day, probably egg and chips or something similar, as none of us can face another roast dinner, or anything resembling one. Not that we're ungrateful for the food we've been given over the holidays.  It's just that now we can please ourselves, this is what appeals.

We'll probably spend the evening watching TV, Jools Holland's Hootenaney show is usually a pretty safe bet, unless anything else catches our eye and attention.

Talking of TV, we've enjoyed some great films and TV over Christmas (we've been very selective).  I particularly enjoyed the films Saving Mr Banks and The Lady in the Van, plus the drama about the Bronte sisters, that was on the BBC the other night. OH also took his nephew to see the new Star Wars film at the cinema the other day.

I'm now heading out to get the food we need for the next few days, and hoping it won't be too busy. Wish me luck!

Wishing you all a Healthy and Happy 2017.


6 comments:

  1. All the very best to you and yours for the New Year ahead.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mum. Let's hope for an enjoyable one.

      Delete
  2. A very Happy New Year to you. We are having soup tonight. Harvey does want a roast tomorrow so we will have ham (lots of leftovers).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After having the house full for over 2 weeks and cooking what seemed like mountains of food I made a big pot of vegetable soup and will have that for my lunches for a few days. Egg and chips does sound tempting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegetable soup sounds lovely. I had soup the evening we got back to London. (It was from a tin though, but nevertheless very simple and enjoyable after all the food I'd eaten over the festive period) Have a lovely New Year's Day.

      Delete