Monday 28 November 2016

A Really Good Read

On Friday morning I finished reading this book that I picked up at the CS.  I nearly didn't buy it, but I'm so pleased that I did.



It's taken a few weeks to finish it, but I have to say that it's one of the best books I've read in a long time.  It's not a new book and was published 8 or more years ago, but everything in it is still relevant today, if not more so.

It kind of sums up my thoughts about the current rampant consumerism we are encouraged to enter into in so called developed nations today.  I think, as the book suggests, resistance is growing, but we're still a long way off turning things around. Thankfully, I am lucky enough to be connected to lots of you bloggers out there, who don't ascribe to the spend, spend, spend mentality that afflicts us as a nation and that is very reassuring and encouraging.

Perhaps it will take another downturn to make us fully realise the error of our ways and appreciate what we have already, instead of constantly searching out the next best thing.  Who knows, but this book has certainly crystallised how I feel about 'stuff' and mindless shopping and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment