Tuesday 25 November 2014

Winter Cometh

Last night, we lit the wood burner for the first time this autumn/winter. I have to admit that I was surprised that we'd held back so long, but in any case I didn't really pay too much attention, as I was out at the gym for part of the evening and then feeling warmed by exercise when I returned,  I took myself off upstairs to do some work that needed doing to meet some orders, so I never did feel the benefit.

Tonight, however, is a totally different affair.  Today I have felt a little cold, well my feet have to be more accurate.  I spent most of the morning and afternoon outside in my wellies.  First and foremost for a dog walk and secondly an impromptu visit to the allotment.

I'd needed to go for a couple of weeks, ever since I'd received an email warning everyone that inspections were due at the end of the month and any plots still covered in weeds would be receiving a warning letter.  Pretty motivating stuff, but the weather has been so wet I've just not got there.  Until today that is. 

After being further encouraged by OH telling me that three days of rain was forecast this week, and buoyed by the fact that that although the ground was still wet it was essentially a dry day, I headed off as soon as I got back from our morning walk, to make the most of this window of opportunity.

Clearing my plot took longer than I thought.  It was heavy going as the ground was pretty wet and muddy.  I wouldn't normally disturb it in such circumstances, but on this occasion I didn't have much choice.  Three and a half hours later, covered in mud and aching all over, I had done as much as I could.  Most of the plot was cleared and dug over and although there was still a bit more to do around the edges, I had hopefully done enough.
 
Just in time really, as the rain started coming down on the way home.  I was relieved to get home and back to the jobs I still had waiting for me, namely sending out orders, a sink full of washing up and a basket full of ironing, not to mention dinner to cook for both ourselves and the dog.

Once everything was under control, I was finally able to sit down with a glass of wine and appreciate the fire.




You can't beat cosy evenings in front of a real fire in the winter, especially at the end of a busy day.  Bliss.

3 comments:

  1. I have horrid storage heaters in my flat so I need about 3 days notice of it being cold to put them on if I don't want to freeze and then pretty much keep them on all through winter which is such a pain.

    I've definitely noticed the drop in temperature this week and need to get the old gloves out.

    Victoria x
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel the heat from here.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh lovely - we really want one !

    ReplyDelete