Wednesday 9 July 2014

Holiday Packing

I have a confession to make.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm completely useless at holiday packing.  I always have been and I probably always will be.  I pack far too much and usually end up coming home with half a suitcase full of unworn clothing. 

I've read the magazine articles, that tell you how to pack a capsule wardrobe, but I just can't seem to put the advice into practice.  In spite of numerous holidays, and many years of visits to family up and down the country, I'm still a terrible packer.  I can manage to pack for a weekend away, but any longer and I struggle.  I can only do it my own way, by packing an outfit for each day, plus a few extras.  Invariably, when I actually get to the holiday destination, if it is a beach type holiday, I spend most of my time in shorts, vests and swimsuits, only wear half of the packed garments and when I do, I often decide on new and more interesting combinations, inspired by the people I see out and about.

I'm not going to waste my time vowing that it will be different this year, because I know it won't, but I am going to try to do a better job of it, if it is at all possible . 

With less than two weeks to go until we go away on our annual holiday, and with the knowledge of how bad I am at packing, last night I decided to get started.  I usually start early and add things to the suitcase as I do the washing and ironing and the things that I want to take are laundered and ready.  I generally re-pack the case several times in the week and days before we are due to depart, taking out things I no longer wish to take and adding others, until it feels like I have got the right combination and the right weight of course.  I think it helps me to prepare mentally for the holiday. 

On occasion, I have still got it terribly wrong.  Like the time we went to Morocco and I hardly packed anything to cover my legs and arms (We were travelling around on trains with local people).  That really has got to be the worst packing disaster yet.  I managed not to cause any offence, thankfully, but believe me, it wasn't easy with the very few long sleeved and full length items I had with me.

OH, on the other hand, has the ability to throw a few things into a suitcase and go the very same day, wearing everything he takes and not worrying one iota about it.  It's truly sickening.  Is it a man thing or is it just me?  Are you a good holiday packer?  Any useful tips are very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment