Tuesday 3 September 2013

Having A Wardrobe Moment

On returning from our holiday the other week, I had a bit of a wardrobe moment.  I looked in my wardrobe and thought UGH.  It all looked tired, unappealing, not the sort of clothes I want to wear anymore.  I felt like I'd shed a skin and turned into someone else whilst I'd been away.  Do you ever want to reinvent yourself?

I think perhaps the simplicity of life in the campervan, where what you wore was mostly comfort and weather orientated, I had got used to wearing shorts and a vest and having a very simple wardrobe.  Many of the clothes I took with me I just didn't wear, as trousers or leggings when it is 35 C plus, just didn't appeal.  Now I'm back in good old Blighty and we are nearing the end of the summer, I realise that shorts and vests are not going to get me through the winter, but still the feeling persists that there is something tired about many of the clothes in my wardrobe and I have a yearning to simplify things somewhat.  Stick with things I really love and get rid of everything else.

I think perhaps that a good cull of the clothes in there is on the cards.  Some of the clothes I have hardly worn, probably for good reason, but I just don't want to give them houseroom anymore.  Some of them I've worn and worn and worn and I just don't know if I want to ever wear them again.  I feel like I want to allow some new clothes in, ones that really suit me and help me make the absolute best of myself.  A feeling of out with the old and in with the new.

Don't worry though, I'm not intending to rush out and spend a whole lot of money on new clothes as I just can't afford it, but what I may do is whittle down what I have to some best loved favourites allowing some room for some new favourites to come my way, however that may happen.  It might inspire me to make some clothes again that actually fit me properly or just seek out some flattering and classic pieces that will last me the next few years.

Maybe it's the time of year.  September is always a time of new starts, new school year, new courses, new me, etc.  Maybe it's the restlessness I used to feel as a child, itching to get back to school in my new uniform and start a fresh academic year.  Not sure exactly, but I feel the need to do something.  I'll keep you posted with any developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment