Monday, 7 September 2026

Getting Back to Normal - W/E 6th September 2026 - Part One

This week started with a quiet Bank Holiday Monday at home. After a very busy and sociable weekend, I was more than happy to be back in London and just potter around at home and get back to normal.

When I got back home, I was happy to find that I'd received a pension quote from the second of the pensions I'm intending to take when I reach 60 this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to get both applications sent off in the next couple of weeks.

OH went out for a cycle ride on Bank Holiday Monday, whilst I stayed home and unpacked, did some laundry and settled back into life back in London. I spent some time looking up some holiday accommodation in Cornwall for our summer holiday and later OH booked it. I don't think the weather is going to be great all week, but after such a hot summer, I'm not too worried. There will be lots of places to visit and things to do, even on rainy days. We will be staying in Mousehole, in a lovely cottage for a week. I'm really looking forward to just having a break, relaxing and exploring somewhere different.

Later on Monday, OH and I visited the allotment to harvest and water.  After 4 or 5 days away, there was quite a lot of food to pick. 

On Tuesday morning, I was booked into Zumba at the gym. It felt good to get back to exercising. In the afternoon, I headed out of town to do the weekly shop. I stopped into the charity shop, but only came home with a book, which was a good thing really. The grocery shopping didn't take too long. I didn't have any vouchers this week though, but did pick one up from Sainsbury's to use next week and also gained enough Lidl points to get a £5 off voucher next time I shop there. Everything helps.

Later, after supper, I caught up on some financial reckoning for the month, as it hadn't got done due to our being out of town. It had been a good month really, as I'd received a pension pay out from a very small private pension that had matured, which I immediately transferred into an ISA. It was a bit disappointing that tax got taken off it, but I should get it back next year, as I haven't earned enough this year to pay any tax at all. I also had a small win on the Premium Bonds, which is always nice to receive.

On Wednesday, I had a day where I didn't need to go anywhere or do anything much. I did some laundry, pickled two large jars of beetroot, picked up a prescription from the pharmacy and just generally had a chill, pottering kind of day at home.

The ballot for Wimbledon 2027 opened today, so I tried to enter. I had to wait in a queue for 13 minutes, as the site was extremely busy. I did eventually get through and was able to enter into the ballot. We'll just have to see if we get offered any tickets, we haven't been for a few years now.

On Thursday, I was back at the gym for a class, which was good. In the afternoon, I did a bit of pottering in the garden, potting on a white mulberry bush that we bought at the weekend and some thyme that I also bought. I also sowed some white and blue borage and some marigold seeds, but I don't know how they will fare. 

I harvested as many hazelnuts as I could find on my two bushes in the garden this week, which was just as well, as on Friday the squirrel appeared, rustling around in the bushes looking for nuts. They probably found some at the back of the bushes that I couldn't get to. They tend to bury them in the garden and forget about them, as I have potted up quite a few seedlings this year and there are more in the borders. I also collected some cob nuts from a tree down the road earlier in the week and I'm hoping to sow them and grow a cob nut tree.

I also made a batch of jam on Thursday, as the weather was cooler. I made 5 jars, using blackcurrants and gooseberries, but most of the jars I used were quite small. It has made a bit of room in the freezer, which is much needed.

I spent the afternoon catching up on three episodes of the Sewing Bee, which I enjoyed. I also made arrangements to start doing some voluntary work later this month. I've been wanting to do it for a while and decided to just take the plunge. It's actually more of a Green Gym, but it involves working in a community garden one day a week. It's a train ride away, but it will be good to get out and about a bit more. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll make a separate post about the remainder of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment