This weekend, I decided to do a big clothing clear out. It started innocently enough, with my needing to try on a dress I bought ages ago, to wear at my niece's wedding next month. I've put on weight since I bought it and wanted to make sure it still fitted okay, which it does, thankfully.
Whilst in the wardrobe, I decided to go through and take out anything that wasn't summery. I'd left a few sweater vests in there, as when I changed over to my summer wardrobe, it was April and a bit of a crossover period. I was finding that I was running out of hangers and needed to clear some space. These kinds of items were just not getting worn, due to all the hot weather we're having.
What started as a wardrobe clearout, then turned into a complete out of season storage clearout, which took the whole of the afternoon. The main reason for deciding to do this, was that LB and I have been thinking about doing a car boot sale together at some point this summer. In addition, my out of season clothing storage has got very mixed up in recent months and I wanted to streamline it so that I know exactly what I've got each season, that still fits me and then re-organise the storage of what doesn't fit, but that I still want to keep.
This meant sorting through two very large storage bags, one essentially for winter clothing, the other for stuff that doesn't fit, but I can't bear to part with for whatever reason. Having experienced significant weight loss, followed by subsequent weight gain, I've got quite a lot of things that I bought when at my smallest, but that I really liked and I haven't yet given up all hope of getting back into, although I'm starting to get more realistic in this regard.
As a consequence, I was pretty ruthless and managed to set aside two bags of clothing to sell at a car boot sale, probably 20 to 30 or more items. Most of the items are good quality, so I'm hoping they sell. Some things I knew I'd never get into again, others have had their time and it was time to part ways. It was quite a satisfying process and one that I've been meaning to do for quite a while. A couple of things I'm going to try to alter and another couple I may cut up for fabric.
There's still a bag full of clothing that doesn't fit me that I'm keeping. Some I'm closer to getting into than others, but for now, I'm prepared to hang onto them and give it another year. If my weight doesn't come down, then more items may be making their way out of the house.
At least now, everything for autumn/winter that currently fits, is easy to get to and I've got lots of items to sell if we do a car boot. I now need to go through the rest of the house and garden and try to find some non-clothing items to declutter and sell. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment