Monday 19 August 2024

A Busy Week and the Resolution of a Health Problem

Sunday, marked the start of another busy work week. I was scheduled to work 4 shifts again this week. I think quite a few people were on annual leave, so I'd been given more shifts. The first one was on Sunday afternoon. 

I managed to squeeze the weekly shop in before heading off to work and used the last of my Tesco money off vouchers, another £6 this time. I'll be glad to go back to shopping on Mondays from next week, as it was a bit of a squeeze time wise, when I was due at work for 2pm.

Work was pretty quiet for a Sunday, probably because it was steaming hot outside. There were a few busy periods though. Once home, I spent the evening trying to stay awake whilst watching the Olympic closing ceremony. I thought it was quite well done. LB stayed out overnight after working then visiting a friend in South London.

On Monday, I woke early. Once up and ready, I spent an hour or so doing a few small sewing jobs in the sewing room. I needed to put some elastic in a couple of pairs of trousers, one mine, one LB's. I also finished altering a skirt that was too big for me, to make it fit my current size and I cut down a dress, that I'd bought at the charity shop last week, to make a top to wear for work during this current hot spell of weather.

I spent most of the rest of the day indoors pottering, staying out of the heat, which may seem like a waste, but I don't tolerate hot weather too well these days. LB came home in the early afternoon and then later I got ready and headed out to work.

Work was relatively quiet thankfully and I was working in my favourite section, so I quite enjoyed it. We were able to leave early too, which was a bonus. I was super glad of the air conditioning in store today. It made the heat bearable.

On Tuesday, I managed to get into my usual class at the gym and headed off there in the morning. I was working again in the evening, so didn't get much else done today. I did, however, contact my dentist, as I had finally made the decision to get my tooth extracted, after much deliberation. In the end, I was unable to secure an appointment for a month, so had to try to find another dentist willing to do the procedure.

Work on Tuesday night was a big surprise. The store management decided to train me on a new to me job in the store.  I say new to me, but I've done it before elsewhere, but everything is different everywhere you go. It was a bit intense, as it was a customer facing role, but I quite enjoyed it. I don't know how often I'll be asked to do it, but it will add another string to my bow at work which is all good.

I had a couple of days off on Wednesday and Thursday, which I was thankful for. I managed to secure an appointment with my own dentist after there was a cancellation, which was a relief. I can't wait to get the treatment done now and get on with my life. The decision making process has been difficult. I had to cancel a shift next week in order to go, but luckily my manager was very understanding.

Anyway, aside from this on Wednesday, we all, that is OH, LB and myself drove over to the other side of London for some identity paperwork to be completed with regard to LB's flat rental. It was a long journey there and back, which took up most of the day, but it had to be done. 

On Thursday, I was all set to go to the gym, but I got a call from my dentist's office offering me another cancellation slot. I agreed to go later that day, as I figured the sooner the better. I then went to the allotment with OH to water and harvest and then later had an early lunch, got ready and headed to the dentist.

I haven't had a tooth extracted for many years, so I wasn't relishing the experience, and I don't take the loss of a tooth lightly, but to me, for a number of reasons, it felt like the best way forward. I know dentists always want to preserve a tooth and do a root canal, but I wasn't 100% confident it would be successful and I just didn't feel like I could face having it done. I was also quite worried about the extent of the infection and how it could spread further if the root canal wasn't successful, so I reluctantly came to the conclusion that the extraction was the preferred option for me.

The procedure itself wasn't too bad. It's always the injection of the anaesthetic that I find the most uncomfortable. Afterwards, the dentist was confident he'd removed both the tooth and the infection, which he did say was quite extensive. This did reassure me that I'd done the right thing. I saw the tooth and the extent of the infection, which surprised me as it didn't look like I thought it would. 

This whole experience has been a big learning curve for me, despite having had lots of dental treatment over the course of my life so far. It's made me completely rethink my oral hygiene, which I thought was quite good and I'm intending to make changes to my routine to try to take even more control of my oral health. I really don't want to lose any more teeth if I can possibly help it.

Anyway, I'm now just hoping it all heals well and trying to be very careful when I eat and brush my teeth for the next few days. I've got to use salt water rinsing for a few days, which is something completely new to me, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm glad that the treatment has been done and I will soon be able to get on with the rest of my life. The decision has hung over me for the past 3 weeks, which has felt quite overwhelming at times and I haven't really been able to focus on thinking about anything else.

I took it easy for the rest of the day and rested, took pain killers, etc. In the evening, we started watching the new series of Celebrity Race Across the World which was good.

Friday, I was back at work in the evening, so I decided to take it easy. I was advised not to do any exercise for a couple of days in case it started the gum bleeding, so that ruled out going to the gym. I had a lie in, as rest is good when you're healing and then had soft boiled eggs for breakfast. We don't have a lot of soft food in the house to eat, so I'm having to think of things that will be easy to eat on one side of my mouth.

Work was okay on the evening. I've continued to do the new job I was trained on, which has been okay. It was pretty busy all night so the time passed super quick.

On Saturday, I was given an extra shift to work 1pm to 10pm, so I had a relaxing morning, not really doing too much before getting ready to go to work. I had to make some food to take with me for my break and I sorted some laundry. 

OH went out for a walk with the dog we're going to be looking after for the next 10 days. His owner is both a neighbour and a cycling friend of OH's. I got to meet him the dog when they all got back. He's a lot younger and more energetic than our dog had been in recent years, but it will be nice to have a dog in the house again.

Work on Saturday was pretty varied. I worked in a couple of places and then got to recover a new to me area at the end of the day. It feels good to be learning more tasks in the store, it makes work more interesting. It's been quite a varied and busy week this week in lots of respects, which is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Dental stuff is the pits. I also find the freezing is the part I hate the most. I had an old crown replaced that the dentist told me was only 50/50 of it working. Glad it was the 50 that worked as I really did not want to lose another tooth.

    How lovely that they are training you at different jobs at work.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete