Monday 7 August 2023

Getting Back into a Routine - W/E 5th August 2023

After a busy week last week and a lot of travelling to visit relatives, it was lovely to start this week with a stay at home day on Sunday. OH and I did consider going to the car boot sale in the morning, but as we'd done so much driving in the past week, we decided to stay put, as the car boot sale is a 40 minute drive away.

Instead, OH went out with the dog and I had breakfast in the garden. Both sets of neighbours were away, so it was lovely to sit out there without being able to hear anyone else in their gardens. A rare treat when you live in a densely populated city.

Whilst out in the garden, I decided to take the opportunity to do a bit of tidying down the side return. It was a bit of a mess after our neighbour had inadvertantly chopped the honeysuckle on the fence and we needed to clear up and rearrange what was left of the plant to best effect. It's not looking great, but hopefully it will grow back a bit better given time. It was disappointing, but there was nothing we could do, as we were away at a wedding when it happened.  It now looks a lot tidier and has made this area much easier to navigate when we need to.

It was just as well that we did work outside in the morning, as from about 2pm the heavens opened and it rained constantly all afternoon and much of the evening.  Once the rain had set in, I went upstairs to the sewing room and did some work on a couple of quilt projects, mainly cutting out and making up pieces to sew together. It made for a nice relaxing afternoon, as I hadn't done much sewing in the previous week, so it was nice to get back to it.

Later, after supper, I made some more jam from the blackberries I'd foraged the day before and the last of the blackcurrants, that I'd bagged up and put in the freezer.

On Monday, OH got a refund on a large item that he'd ordered from Amazon. He was notified it had been delivered when we were away, on a day when LB was home, but it wasn't delivered to us and after putting a message on the street chat, no neighbours seemed to have received it and no one has been round to tell us they've got it. All very strange. Anyway, a refund was issued, so OH can now order another item to replace it. It's been a source of frustration for the past few days, so at least that has now been resolved.

Monday, was another rainy day from the outset. I couldn't even get out with the dog until much later in the morning, so I went off shopping and walked her when I got back and there was a break in the rain.

There were quite a lot of things that we needed. I've started to buy drinks and snacks for LB to take to work, to save her spending her hard earned money on them, and I'm slowly starting to buy bits here and there for her to take back to University with her in September, in an attempt to spread the cost. She'll be on a tighter budget this next academic year, as her student maintenance loan was reduced. We will probably need to supplement her income a little more for the duration, although she is thinking of getting a part time job too.

I'm now starting to feel pressure to get a job again, not from anyone else, just myself, in order to help out more with the family finances. Besides, Xmas and LB's 21st birthday are on the horizon and I will need money for gifts. I'm still looking and applying from time to time. I just need to keep on it.

I thought that I'd missed the opportunity to attend an interview for a job later this week, because I misread the email and didn't respond in time, but I received a message on Monday, to say that in spite of this, I can still go along to the interview, which was good. I spent Monday afternoon working out a route to get there either on my bike or on public transport if the weather is bad. This particular job is not in retail and is temporary for just a few weeks, so would suit me, but I'll have to wait and see if I get it.

Later on Monday afternoon, I headed up to the sewing room to continue work on a quilt project. It was still raining outside, so it seemed like the perfect thing to do on a rainy afternoon. I'm enjoying seeing my current quilt gradually grow in size. It's a lot of work, but I like the end results, so it's completely worth it.

OH visited the allotment for the first time in a week tonight and brought back everything that needed harvesting. I pickled the beetroot he brought back, as I'd run out and needed some for the following day. It made a large jar which will keep me going for a week or two.

On Tuesday, I was up and out with the dog, so I could get back in time to go to my usual Aerobics class. We had sunshine this morning which was a welcome break from the rain. The class was a bit different today, but I worked up a sweat which was the main thing.

In the afternoon, I did more work on my new quilt project and then later had a shower before my interview the following day.

On Wednesday, I was up early to get myself ready for my interview. I had been thinking of cycling, but I caught the bus in the end, as it was raining heavily.  I got there in good time though. It wasn't really an interview as such, it was more of a test of your skills. Only a third of the expected candidates turned up, so I don't know if that will raise my chances or whether they'll find more candidates in the time they've got left. It was quite intense, getting used to a completely new to me computer system in just a few hours. I came away a bit overwhelmed to be honest. I'll just have to wait and see if I hear anything. If I get the job, there will be a few days training before we start proper, which will be helpful.

When I got home I was hungry, so I made a nice lunch and then took myself off to the sewing room as usual to decompress. I do have to admit that I had a little nap too. It was a relief to get the interview over with. I get quite nervous really, as I'm still not used to going to interviews.

Thursday, marked the end of the 8th week that I've been trying to reduce my weight, which meant taking measurements and pictures to chart my progress. The weight loss has slowed down a little this week to just under 1lb, but in total I've lost 12lbs over the last 8 weeks, which I'm very happy about. You can just about see some progress in the photos, mainly around my middle section and some of my measurements reduced by an inch this time, but not all. I'm happy with my progress. Slow and steady is fine by me, so long as things are still going in the right direction. I feel fitter and healthier, and that is the main thing. My blood pressure is also still looking better than before too.

OH had headed off to catch a flight up to Scotland early on Thursday morning, to compete in a World Masters Cycle race. I think he was quite excited to get the opportunity.

Due to OH being away for a couple of days, I was on double dog walking duty.  After doing the first dog walk, I headed to the gym. I was especially looking forward to it, as we didn't do much weight work in Aerobics this week, so I particularly wanted to do some work on the weight machines in the gym.

I enjoyed my gym session, apart from the fact that I counted at least 5 or 6 machines that were out of action, some of which had been for a few weeks now. I find this really frustrating, especially where there's no alternative machine to use. 

When I got back from the gym, I spent some time in the sewing room quilting again. LB came home from work later and had got paid without being taxed this week, which was a relief. She can pay her overdraft off a lot quicker now and have some money left to enjoy this summer.

After the second dog walk, I'd managed over 14,000 steps, which was good. I placed a Temu order tonight for a few fitness items, including a skipping rope, a waist trainer and a yoga mat strap. 

On Friday, I was up and out with the dog again in the morning. We dropped in to the allotment on the walk. (I posted separately about that) When I got back, I had some lunch, I hung out some washing and then did some more sewing upstairs.

I had to pop back to the allotment, as I'd left all the things I'd harvested there, along with a sunflower plant that I picked up from a neighbour who was giving away lots of spares.


Today, I got offered the temporary job I was interviewed for on Wednesday. It's an admin job doing data input work.  A lot different from retail work, but I'm looking forward to the change and the regular hours. It will only be for a few weeks over a busy period, but the money will come in very useful. I start mid August, when I'll be going in for some training. Wish me luck.

OH came back late on Friday night from his race in Scotland. His plane had been delayed for an hour.

On Saturday morning, I got the first proper lie in I'd had for a while, as OH took the dog out. I lounged about in bed for a few hours which was bliss and then eventually got up. I decided to concentrate today on making meals with more protein in them. It seemed to help quite a bit with feelings of hunger.

It was raining most of the day on Saturday, so I spent quite a while sewing to pass the time. I'll have to put my current quilt aside soon, when I start the new job, so I'm trying to get as much done as I can, while I can. I did a short work out with some hand weights today, which I enjoyed. I need to use them more often.

Later, I walked the dog and then OH and I started watching a good movie on Netflix after supper. A quiet Saturday, but I like them that way.

A much more positive week this week, especially with the job offer.





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job, I hope you enjoy doing something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the job. It is really different from what you did before. Enjoy.

    Routines are very nice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad it was a positive week! I quite like Data inputting things.

    ReplyDelete