Sunday 2 July 2023

This Week - W/E 1st July 2023

This week started in a very leisurely fashion on Sunday morning. I'd stayed up late to watch Guns & Roses headlining on The Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury, but still woke reasonably early and got up and ready to take the dog out. It was hot by the time we set out at around 9.45 am, so we kept to the shade and didn't do a long walk. We sat and chilled in a few spots in the park which was nice.

When we got back, I fed the dog, then fed and watered all of my indoor plants. They really needed it.

I then decided that I was going to do the weekly shop on Sunday instead of Monday, as I wanted to go back to the Monday Yoga class I went to a couple of weeks ago. We were virtually out of food too and I needed to stock up.

My weight loss journey seems to have stalled at the moment. My weight is stuck on a particular number on the scales and hasn't budged for 4 days. I'm keeping strictly within my calorie deficit too. It could be worse, as it could have gone up, but I'd like to get it moving again, preferably in a downward direction. Maybe I just need to reduce calories further or up my activity levels, but it's not easy in the heat.

My chesty cough and sore throat are very slowly getting better, I'll be glad when it's gone. It helps if I take paracetamol, but I always forget to.

Anyway, I headed off to a local Lidl. It was the last week of the month, so I didn't have a lot of money left to spend on the groceries. I knew I was going to overspend, but that's okay. We need what we need. It just had to come out of next month's budget.  I managed to save over £7 on the groceries using a 10% off coupon, so that helped.

When I got back, I made LB and myself a sausage sandwich each using the air fryer, so no added oils or fats. I've had salads every day for weeks now and I needed a break. It's all still within my calorie deficit. Had to be done.

The remainder of the afternoon, was once again given over to Glastonbury. It was way too hot to go outside and do anything. I developed some lumbar pain today. Not sure what caused it. Maybe lifting heavy shopping bags in and out of the car, but it was a bit debilitating. What with this and the lingering cough, I feel like a wreck.

On Monday, I had a leisurely start to the day. OH took the dog out and as I had no weekly shop to do, I was able to potter at home hard boiling eggs, making fruit jellies and jam. The boiled eggs are a way of varying my salads a little, as I feel a bit bored of my usual salads and need a bit more protein in my diet.

The small individual jellies are made up from granules and have only 10 calories in each, plus a few calories for the fresh raspberries I put in them. They are great when I have an urge to eat something sweet, but don't want to consume too many calories. 

The scales finally moved in a downward direction this morning. Not a great shift, but a small one, which was a relief.

I was unable to go to the Yoga class due to the lumbar pain. It wasn't quite as bad as the day before, but too uncomfortable to do a class. I was a bit disappointed.

I needed to do a bit of banking today. My ISA interest rate was about to lapse if I didn't put some money into the account, so I did a quick transfer and now I'll retain the current interest rate for another year, which is quite good compared to what it's been in past years.

Talking of interest rates, we're one of those families that are facing mortgage interest rate rises in the next month or so, when our current fixed rate ends. We don't have a large mortgage anymore, but it is inspiring us to pay as much off as possible, so I might be putting some savings into doing that in the near future.

It was a much cooler day on Monday, the afternoon of which I spent chilling in the sewing room, making progress on a quilt project. 

On Tuesday, OH was cycling up north to see his family. I stayed put and was on double dog walking duty, although the dog doesn't always want a second walk in the hot weather. He must have set off early, as I woke at 6am and he was gone. He got there okay anyway, which is good.

I spent most of the morning walking the dog, during which time a bird pooed on me. I'm hoping it will bring me good luck. I didn't get to a class at the gym, as my back was still sore.

As OH was away and wouldn't be eating the raspberries and Greek yoghurt in the fridge, I decided to make some more frozen fruit yoghurt. It makes a nice low calorie dessert and saved things going to waste.

I passed the afternoon working on a quilt again. Same quilt as yesterday. I'm going to post about it very soon. I'm enjoying this one a lot. 

I also fell down an Amelia Dimoldenberg rabbit hole on YouTube, which was quite amusing. Her uncomfortable/awkward style of interviewing and the Chicken Shop Date concept is so refreshing. Some of them are pure gold.

Later, LB headed out to her first shift in a long while, at her old job at the theatre. I tried to get the dog out for another walk, but she wasn't that interested.

I made myself a Nourish bowl tonight for supper, (I can't call it a Buddha bowl, as it contains meat) using curried chickpeas, plain cottage cheese, rocket, cherry tomatoes, a boiled egg and some chorizo slices. It was pretty tasty and filling too actually, I was surprised. I might do the same tomorrow for lunch, but maybe vary the ingredients. It's a great way to use up things from the fridge and gives me a bit of a change from the usual salad.

On Wednesday, I woke at 7ish and noticed that the dog was wide awake and looking like she wanted to go out, or at least go out in the garden, so I got ready and went down for breakfast. I never normally get out of bed so early.

My back was still a bit sore, but much better than it has been. I was determined to go to Soca Aerobics today. I couldn't stand the thought of another sedentary day, hardly moving at all and the scales have stuck again, albeit at a different number this time. It's frustrating to get an injury at such an early stage of my weight loss journey. I definitely need to be more careful, because I hate being out of action. I guess I just have to take things as they come and be grateful that I don't have permanent chronic pain, as it must be so difficult to cope with on a daily basis.

After taking the dog out for a walk at one of our favourite spots, I decided I would walk to the gym for the class. I was a bit late setting off though, as I got distracted and probably missed a song or two, but I did what I could comfortably do in the class and felt so much better for it. It was good to get out. I was climbing the walls at home after just 3 days. The last couple of days have been a bit more overcast and cooler, so at least that has helped.

On Thursday, I didn't go to the Pilates/Yoga fusion class, despite my back being almost better, as I needed to walk the dog, with OH being away. I didn't want to push it either, when I seem to be on the mend. Thursday marked 3 weeks of trying to reduce my weight, so I hopped on the scales hoping for the best. I've shed just under a pound this week, so things have slowed down significantly. 

To be honest, I'm happy with this, as it could so easily have gone the other way, especially with my being much more inactive this week due my back pain. My weight has stuck again for 4 days inspite of keeping within my calorie deficit. Just seems to be a pattern that is emerging.  This is harder than I thought it would be, but I'm going to persevere.

Next week, I'll reach the four week mark and I intend to take some measurements and photos again to chart progress and see if there's any difference. I'm quite looking forward to it, but I'm not expecting miracles.

After the morning dog walk, I came home and had lunch. I was back to eating salad today. It had been a few days, but I was ready to eat it again and I needed to use up some more lettuce. I then hung out some washing before heading off to the allotment.

Some good news, was that we had lots of rain overnight, so I think everything at home and the allotment got a good soaking, which saved me needing to water anything. I did need to harvest some things from the allotment though, which I did and I took a few photos of the plot to create an allotment update.

OH returned later on Thursday and we caught up on all the news from his parents. In the evening, we watched TV and I pulled out lots of backing papers from my navy quilt. It's going to take a while.

On Friday, I had another quiet day. I walked the dog in the morning, had some lunch and then in the afternoon, I walked up to the library to return a book and get some more books out and steps in. I also I did a bit more paper removal from the quilt.  Nothing wildly exciting.  The books I got out of the library were low calorie recipe books.  It wasn't that easy to find them, many books don't give calorie counts. I spent an hour going through them when I got home and bookmarking the recipes I could try.

On Saturday, I woke up to a new month, which I welcomed from a financial point of view.  I can't believe another month has whizzed by.

I got up and ready to go to the gym.  There's only three weeks left of the free sessions and I can't go next week, so this will be one of the last times I can get there. I walked there today to get more steps in and I really enjoyed the session. My back was okay for the most part, getting on and off the machines was the hardest bit.

When I got back it was bacon sandwiches for lunch as a treat, with only two thin slices though. I spent the afternoon working on a quilt and then later we went to the allotment to harvest the potatoes and other crops. OH dug up 3 bag fulls of potatoes, which should keep us going for a while.  He then made us a nice chicken and vegetable soup for supper. LB was out at work most of the day on a double shift.

It's been a quiet week, but progress has been made here and there, which was satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment