Monday 1 February 2021

Decluttering 2021 Update

This year, I decided that I would try another decluttering challenge, as I haven't done one for a couple of years. I read about a challenge where you declutter 2021 items in 2021 and thought, that's something I could really get my teeth into. It's a large amount, but I'm willing to give it a try and create a bit more breathing space in our house.

This month, I went through the pile of stuff in our spare room, that I had put aside to donate over the last year. I pulled out all clothes and accessories that I can actually physically donate, counted them and then took them to a local clothing donation bank. That was 41 items out of the house.

It is difficult at the moment to find a place to take items to.  All charity shops are closed and not taking donations, there are no Give and Take events due to the Coronavirus, no car boot sales or jumble sales and I really just don't feel like I want to sell things online. I'd much rather just donate them for someone else to make use of. This does limit the amount of stuff that I can physically get out of the house and it is only the things that I actually despatch to a new home that I am counting for this challenge.

There is still a pile of housewares waiting to be donated, but nowhere to take them at present. They may be with me for a while yet and I'm sure that I will add to the pile over the coming months.  Some will be taken to the charity shop as soon as it opens, others may have to wait for the Give and Takes to resume, whenever that might be.

Anyway, I also paid a visit to the refuse tip this month, to get rid of some unusable items that had accumulated, this meant another 43 items decluttered from the house and garden.

A complete overhaul of my wardrobe also created another 34 items to go to the clothing bank and I also put 12 books in a local Little Free Library.

Total decluttered and departed from the house this month 132.  A pretty good start. Hoping to keep up the momentum.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter is wanting to get rid of a lot of things to sell her house and make it look more spacious. I have a feeling it is all going to end up here in our spare room! 132 is a good amount to get rid of - I need to go through our loft as that is our worst place - I have things of my mum's and mum-in-law's up there and it all needs sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!!! It must be hard to donate things if the usual donation places are closed. Lucky here as ours are still open.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped taking clothes and shoes to charity shops a few years ago, I too prefer to donate them in our Salvation Army bins, I feel those truly in need get them. I do take household items to the shops.

    ReplyDelete