Tuesday 4 February 2020

A Crazy Week

It's been a crazy week here. Lots of stuff going on, some good, some bad. After finishing work last Wednesday for the week, I spent Thursday at home.  I was really tired. Taking two Jazz Solo classes on a Wednesday night after a full day at work is tough.  I love it though and am going to continue indefinitely, I just need to build up my stamina.

On Friday I was feeling  much better and decided to get out of the house and visit one of my new favourite charity shops in another part of the borough. I hadn't been for a couple of weeks and they have an interesting range of things at very reasonable prices. I headed off and was enjoying myself looking around the shop, when all of a sudden a woman cried out that her purse had been stolen from the bag hung on her pram.

When I  heard this I wasn't completely surprised, as the first time I'd visited this particular shop, I'd had the feeling that someone had been trying to get into my bag.  Several times I felt people knock into me and get a little too close for comfort. I had a rucksack at the time and I noticed at one point whilst I was shopping that it was open and I'm usually very careful about closing my bag at all times. Anyway, nothing was missing from my bag, but the incident did inspire me to make a mental note and always be careful in that particular shop.

Anyway, the poor woman concerned was very distraught, as you can imagine. She had a young child in the pram and the thief had got away with quite a bit of cash and several cards. While the shop staff called the police to report the theft, the lady was trying to cancel her cards over the phone. I had to step in at one point, as the person on the other end of the phone was asking her lots of questions she didn't know the answer to, so I had to explain the situation so that they could ask her security questions she could answer without her card and bank details.

Eventually, she got some of the cards cancelled and I went with her to try to cancel another card at a nearby Building society. I know how it feels to have to do this and she was so shocked and unable to think rationally, that I think she just needed a guiding hand. I felt so bad for her, because she really never thought it could happen to her. These thieves are ruthless and know the easiest targets.

So, Friday got a bit crazy, but I eventually came home. OH had had to go off up North that morning to help his mum and dad, as his brother needed a break, so it was just me and LB this weekend.

On Saturday, I was booked into a Learn Lindy Hop in a Day workshop, which was part of my Xmas present from OH and I was really looking forward to it.  Unfortunately, however, the dog became ill overnight and was vomiting and really weak. I was in two minds whether to cancel, but as the dog settled down and went to sleep I decided to go, as it would be £40 lost if I didn't. LB was out at work and with OH away, it was a difficult decision.

I arrived a bit late and I was a bit distracted about the dog during the classes and worried about her, but the workshop was great.  I really enjoyed it and learnt so much.  There was one other person there that I knew from my solo class, so it was good to see a familiar face, but it went pretty well and I feel much more enthusiastic about partnering now.  I just need to keep practicing.

When I got home, the dog was still very unwell, so I had a quiet night in watching TV.  By bedtime, she'd started drinking water and not regurgitating it, which was progress, although she was still very weak. Needless to say, she slept on my bed that night, so that I could keep a close eye on her.

On Sunday, I was back at work, but I had to go in a bit later so that I didn't leave the dog alone for too long. Thankfully, by Sunday night, when OH returned, she was virtually back to normal and is now almost fully recovered. We think it was a virus that has been doing the rounds. Poor mite, it hit her very hard.

Today, I was back at work and arrived to an overflowing stock room once again. It took all day, but by the time I left, it was looking decidedly better. Just one more day to work this week (tomorrow) and then I'm done for the week. I want to get my hair cut this week, so I am looking forward to my days off. I'm hoping things will now calm down a little and get back to  some sort of normality, if there is such a thing.

I hope you've had a better week.

6 comments:

  1. Glad your dog is feeling better, it's awful when they're ill.

    How awful, if unsurprising, about the theft and I'm sure the victim will always remember your kindness.

    I received a message warning we we had a house clearance yesterday afternoon, so at least I can prepare myself for a very cramped workroom, and busy afternoon at the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you got a tip off. At least you knew what to expect going in. I find that there is just so much coming in every day at the moment, we're finding it hard to keep on top of it all.

      Delete
  2. Hello Ann how's your allotment at this time of year? Mine is like the Somme so I avoid it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyn, there's very little going on down there. We've covered the plot with manure to enrich the soil and have left it to overwinter. I do need to go and prune my autumn fruiting raspberries and sow some shallots. Maybe this weekend. OH is getting on my case about it, but I'm enjoying the break from having to do anything there at the moment.

      Delete
  3. The lady must have been so grateful having your support - there is nothing worse than getting a purse stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the dog being so unwell and the theft- both very distressing. What a good thing you were able to help her! It's horrid.
    I am glad you liked the lindy class!

    ReplyDelete