Sunday, 27 January 2019

It's Been A While

It's been a while since my last post.  Apologies and all that. The year didn't exactly get off to the start that I was hoping for. I got a bit of an unpleasant surprise on returning to work and found myself managing the shop for the first two weeks of the year. It was a bit eventful, broken lift, no Wifi for a few days, lots of things seemed to go wrong, and I wasn't in the greatest of moods if I'm honest, but I got through it and didn't work very many extra hours.

I did, however, apply for some new jobs that came up with the same charity to help open a couple of new shops in the east end of London.  They were much closer to home, so less of a commute.  I had an interview on Friday, which seemed to go well and should find out on Monday, but to be honest I've decided not to take them even if I am offered them.

I found out yesterday that one of our long term pivotal volunteers has left the shop and got a full time job.  I'm pleased for her, of course, but it means that I can't in all honesty find it in me to leave now, even if I got the chance.  Besides, there were a few issues around the potential jobs that put me off a little. It was, in any case, a good exercise in looking out for myself and keeping my options open.

It's also been a busy month in other ways.  LB had her 16th birthday a couple of weeks ago.  It's hard to believe that she's so grown up now. She's also gone out and found herself a part-time job working on a vintage clothing kilo sale once a month.  She starts next weekend and I know she'll love it. In case anyone's not sure what this is, it is a clothing sale where you fill a bag with 1kg of clothes and pay a set price such as £10 or £15. You might get a couple or lots of items, depending on what they weigh.

In other news the dog had to go to the vets for teeth cleaning under anaesthetic. It was a bit of a shock for OH when he received a bill for £550.  After telling OH that he needed to take a couple of teeth out, the vet took out 9 teeth, 6 of which were the tiny bottom front ones between her canines.  He said they were loose and she didn't need them, but we were a bit upset and thought it a little excessive. She's lost her little toothy smile now.  I call her Gummy Bear, because she looks like a teddy bear and now she's all gums.  I'm sad about it though. Needless to say, we're not going back to that vet again.

I've also just come back from a two day course through work. I had to stay overnight in a hotel with the other people on the course.  It was great to meet other Shop Managers and Deputies and hear their stories. It actually made me realise that I don't actually necessarily have it so bad where I am. Some people have far worse working situations for one reason or another. We seemed to be a friendly enough bunch anyway and some of us stayed up until 11pm chatting in the bar.

Yesterday, I had to complete my final tax return relating to the small business I used to run.  It was thankfully even easier than it had been in previous years, on account of HMRC making some changes to the form, that meant that I didn't actually need to fill invery much at all. It would be pointless to fill one in from now on. (Sigh of relief)

With that done, I'm feeling a lot better and today I'm venturing back to work for the first time in a week. I feel recovered after having a week away from the shop and ready to get back to it. Just as well really, as it's going to be a bit of a slog from now on.

I've decided that I may change my mode of transport for getting to work.  I'm thinking of getting a bus to an Underground station and then take the Tube to work.  It will be more expensive, but much quicker I hope and should shave at least half an hour (hopefully more) off my two hour (in total) daily commute. I'm going to try it out this week and see how it goes.  I might avoid the Underground in the warmest months of the year though, as it can get way too hot and unbearable.

Healthwise, not a lot has changed so far this year.  I've got to the gym a couple of times, but I haven't yet managed to get the results of my blood tests, as every time the doctor has tried to call me back, I haven't caught the call.  One doctor did leave a message to say there was nothing really to worry about and that nothing had changed much, but I still need to speak to her in person really.

I have also had a much needed haircut, which I did before going away on the course and having the interview.  It always makes me feel like I'm actually taking some care of my appearance, but I hate having it done, so only ever go once every six months or so.

A lot to catch you guys up on, but hopefully from here on in things will settle down a bit. I hope your January has been a good one.


  1. Wow you have had a lot going on in such a short time. As far as your job goes sometimes it is better the devil you know although the new posts sounded quite challenging and tempting.
    If I had my time again maybe I would train as a vet or a dentist - that is where the money is! Hope Gummy Bear can eat OK with less teeth. In hindsight he should have told you about his plans so you could have got a second opinion.
    I can't believe your daughter is 16 either - hope she had a lovely birthday. We have a January birthday now with the arrival of baby X.
    I would take the easiest transport available and save money elsewhere (obviously not at the vets) but maybe clothes or something else.

    1. I agree with you about the transport, I'll see how it goes. I was tempted by the new jobs, but maybe I was applying for the wrong reasons. I think I'm going to work out my contract where I am and then maybe consider a move in six months time when the shop will hopefully be in a better position with regard to volunteers.

  2. This January has passed really quickly and it looks as though you have been very busy throughout it all. I hope everything settles down now for you and that you can enjoy February in a less frantic way.

    1. Hmm, just a bit. I'll be glad to get into February and hopefully a calmer routine at work

  3. Enjoy reading your blog and glad you are feeling better about your work as it's not good to not like your job. Your poor doggy, does she have to have special food now? When we had pets we found the vets to be a bit hit and miss, some good and some not so good and some very expensive. Hope you have a good week

  4. Your poor doggie, outrageous that your vet did not consult with you before causing all that hurt.
    Hope a shorter commute and a calmer workplace is in your future.

  5. You have had a great deal happening in your life this month. I am glad that you got (well sort of got) a week off.

    Poor doggie. I don't blame you at all for not going back to that vet.

    God bless.

  6. I remember you mentioned on my blog about applying for other jobs and not being happy. I am glad you are feeling a bit better about work now. I hope you get a positive response anyway for the interviews, whether you take them or not.
    2 hours commute is worse than mine which is 1hour and 15minutes-ish each way! (with the bike and 2 trains!)