Friday 20 July 2018

Last Minute Pre-Holiday Preparation

Yesterday, was the last day I had available to prepare for our forthcoming holiday. I worked Monday and Tuesday this week, and had Wednesday and Thursday as my days off.  I worked today, and we're travelling early on Saturday morning, so I had to make sure that everything was virtually packed and ready to go by the time I left for work this morning.  This included packing the things that the dog would need at the dog sitters, as unfortunately, she can't come with us on this holiday.

On Wednesday, I did some last minute holiday shopping. OH needed some shorts and I needed to pick up a few holiday toiletries. I had already done a little bit of packing at the weekend, but I needed to sort out which things, in the mountainous pile that makes up my ironing basket, actually needed ironing, so that we could take them with us. No one wants to iron in this heat, but some things did need it.

We are taking one large suitcase to be checked in and two small carry on suitcases, mainly due to the fact that we are flying with EasyJet and they don't allow more than one piece of hand luggage.  As a consequence I'm just taking a rucksack on the plane and the rest of my stuff is going in the hold.

This does, of course, mean that it's too easy to take too much, and in spite of having been through my suitcase twice, I haven't removed very much from it. I bought some packing cubes from Lidl a few weeks ago and I've rearranged the contents using them.  They do seem to take up less space, I have to admit.

I've chosen a few books to take with us and we've got a few DVD's to take too and watch whilst we're away. I've even packed a jigsaw to do.  Whoa there!! It's just getting too exciting for words.  I may leave it behind when we've done it, as I rarely do one twice. I just needed to pick up some currency today, pack the rest of my toiletries tomorrow morning and I think I'm set.

We'll be staying in a private villa with a pool this holiday.  It will be our main holiday and we just wanted the accommodation to be good quality and have private facilities, unlike last year, when we discovered the owners were living on site too. As a consequence, we have paid a premium, but I'm hoping it will be worth it to get the holiday we want - i.e. away from it all and relaxing. I can't wait to get the inflatables out and just chill in and around the pool.

I have been feeling quite excited with just two days to go and found it quite hard to knuckle down to finish off the last minute tasks that I needed to do. OH always seems able to just throw a few things in a suitcase and go, but for me I end up having to close down the house, clear out the fridge and think about the dog, the allotment, etc. and the food we've got to come back to. It seems never ending. I need a holiday by the time I've finished.

LB finished school for the summer today. I'm looking forward to having her around at home when I'm not at work, although I know she'll be out with her friends much of the time. I hope we'll get to spend some time together.

I may do a couple of posts while I'm away, as at least I will have the time, and I will be reading all my favourite blogs, so expect comments and views from the poolside!! Have a good week.


5 comments:

  1. Have a great holiday, you will need it by the time you get everything done before leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time lounging by the pool. Get all the rest you need before you get right back into the thick of it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderfully relaxing holiday - have fun out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your holiday is as you wish it to be! A private villa sounds a great idea! We had a wonderful one in France 2 years ago! I HATE packing- it always stresses me out. I wish we 'closed the house down' but it is ALWAYS a pig sty when we go away! Maybe I could get it sorted this week before we go!
    Have a LOVELY time! I would love a lazy pool holiday but my husband isn't into them sadly so we have to be on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful relaxing holiday xx

    ReplyDelete