Monday 18 September 2017

Back in the Land of the Living

Well, at last, I'm back in the land of the living and not virtually living my life in the charity shop. It's such a relief to finally have a day to myself at home, to do whatever I want and trust me, I'm only doing what's absolutely necessary and thus giving myself time to recover from the exertions and stresses of the past week.

My week in charge of the CS didn't get off to a very good start.  I woke on Sunday morning, my first day of a seven day stretch feeling distinctly unwell.  I had a headache, felt dizzy and nauseous and could hardly lift my head off the pillow.  I contemplated still going in and doing what I could, but I knew I would spend the day with my head on the desk, trying not to fall over. I had no option but to call the manager and ask him to cover for me and then take the following Sunday as part of his week's leave instead.

He was very gracious and supportive and as he didn't have any plans that particular day, he went in. I then spent the day in bed dosing myself up with paracetamol and trying to sleep off whatever lurgy it was that I had. (Vertigo or some sort of virus I thought, but it was in fact vertigo after all) I wasn't even well enough to get dressed or walk the dog.

By Sunday night I was feeling better so my week started proper on Monday.  Monday itself wasn't a great day, Tuesday got worse, but from Wednesday onwards things settled down and I got more into the swing of things.  I still had vertigo for most of the week, but managed to work in spite of it and it ended up being a busy week. Every day was pretty busy, in fact, and as a consequence I ended up on the right side of the sales targets, although I was pretty exhausted by Sunday night. The terrorist incident on Friday led to my receiving a concerned phone call about some of the staff from overseas.  It was a strange day.  Needless to say, we didn't hang about that evening.

OH came to pick me up from work on Sunday night and brought the dog with him. We sat outside a pub and had a drink before walking back to the car through the park and heading home. It felt so good to be free of the shop for a couple of days.

Today, I've had to do a big food shop as we were running low on food, I had a nice leisurely walk with the dog and have pottered about at home. I have to admit to a little splurge at TK Maxx whilst out shopping, but mostly on Xmas gifts and a few things for the house.  I'll do a little post on what I bought in the next few days.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping I feel a bit more recovered and can start to do a bit of cleaning in the house.  It's tidy enough, but has got a bit dirty over the last couple of weeks, so needs some attention.

Although I learned a lot about what I was capable of this week, with regard to the CS, it has made me more sure that I really don't want to work full time in the field for the time being. If a part time job in the right shop became available I might apply, otherwise, I'm back to volunteering and I will have a whole new appreciation of the freedom that brings in comparison to being paid to work there.







3 comments:

  1. Ugg, I remember my one and only bout with vertigo. I never want to go through that again. Glad you are feeling better and the week is done at the CS.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very challenging week and you have done well to get through it especially with the recent terrorist attack it must be quite scary down there.
    I have missed your frequent posts so it is nice to hear how you are getting along when you find you have the time. Hope your next stint in the shop gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you, my mum had this last week. Well done for coping while unwell x

    ReplyDelete