Saturday, 3 October 2026

Monthly Clothing Purchases - September 2026

This month, I spent quite a bit more on clothing purchases than I have for a couple of months, mainly because we spent a week away in Cornwall, and as you will probably know, both LB and myself love a good car boot sale and a spot of charity shop thrifting and we did plenty of that on our holiday. Brace yourself for quite a long post.

The first couple of things I bought were from the first car boot sale we went to. I bought this pair of camo print dungarees for £1. It was a bit of a gamble whether they'd fit, as they were one size fits all, but thankfully they did and weren't too tight or unflattering. I have worn them a couple of times since buying them and they are comfortable to wear.


The second item I bought from the same seller for £1 and it was this 100% linen hooded cardigan/jacket. It's very lightweight and is good to throw on in the summer if you need a cover up. I was happy with this, as it's always useful to have something like this to hand. I wore it a couple of times on holiday.


Finally, from the same seller, I bought this zebra print scarf, which also doubles up as a sarong, as I wore it on the beach one day. This cost 50p and I like the print, so a good addition to my scarves/beach wear.


The next item I bought was from a charity shop in Penzance.  I saw this and loved the print and the fact that it was 100% cotton. It was a little pricey at £8 and it's a little short, as it's a playsuit. If I don't end up wearing it as a playsuit, I could always cut it down to a blouse. I like the neck and pouffy sleeves, but I may cut the sleeves to a shorter length, as I've mentioned before I'm not keen on mid length sleeves. This was probably not the wisest purchase of our holiday, but we'll see what happens.


At the second car boot sale we attended, I bought two items. The first was this green pure linen top for £3. I like the sleeves and although the print isn't necessarily something that I'd normally go for, I think it will look nice with dungarees, of which I have several pairs now.



I also bought this Zara skirt/sundress for £3. This was also a gamble. I loved the print of fabric, but it is a smaller size than I usually wear. Because it was sheered/elasticated, I bought it and it does fit thankfully. I'm not sure if it's meant to be a strapless dress or a skirt, but can be worn as either, I wear it as a skirt.

The remainder of clothing purchases on holiday were from charity shops. I bought this 100% linen John Lewis top for £5.25. I may shorten the sleeves a little on this.


From the same shop, I bought this pair of wide leg denim, elasticated waist jeans for £4. They look completely shapeless in this photo, but look much better on and will be fun to wear in the autumn/winter with boots and big sweaters. I have worn them already a couple of times and I really like them.


I forgot to mention that I did also buy two new items of clothing from Sainsburys whilst on holiday. They were both in the sale. The first was this gym top which cost £4.50 and I wore this for the first time the other day. It fits nicely. I'm currently in the process of replacing my sports vests, as my current ones I've had for 15 or more years and are getting a bit scruffy.



The second item was this sleeveless zip up gilet which was reduced to £7.80. It's ideal for throwing on over a long sleeved top/sweater in the autumn/spring and I thought it was a great price. I don't often buy new items of clothing, but these two tempted me at these prices.

In total, I did therefore, spend quite a lot on clothing and accessories on holiday, approximately £38, but I bought some nice items, so I have no regrets. There were some lovely items in the Cornwall charity shops and I could easily have spent more, but I had to rein myself in a little by the end of the week we were there.

I did buy a couple more things from the charity shop this month once back in London.  The first, was a pair of khaki canvas jeans which cost £3. I mainly bought these to wear to the Green Gym, as I didn't really have any suitable trousers in my summer wardrobe to wear.


I also bought this slightly larger camo print cross body bag, which has become my new daily use handbag. It was £3 and is much more roomy than my current bags, which is useful on some occasions. It looked virtually unused.


I then bought three items of clothing at a car boot sale, when OH and I ventured out into East Sussex. The first was this modal gingham skirt for 50p, which I'm intending to wear in autumn/winter with boots and tights. It is a size 12, which is much smaller than my usual size, but it does fit okay, as it is elasticated and quite a generous cut (thank you M&S).


Likewise, this long sleeved animal print tiered dress was also purchased with winter in mind. It will go well with a sleeveless knitted vest, boots and tights. This cost £2.


I also bought a pair of khaki army trousers for £2. I think these are new. I had a pair of these for years and really liked them, but sadly outgrew them, so when I saw these, it was hard to resist, as they're great for gardening in. Sadly, this purchase was a bit of a gamble, as I couldn't try them on and on this occasion it didn't pay off, as they are a little small. I'm going to hang onto them for the moment though and hope I can get into them at some point in the near future.

One last visit to the charity shop for the month ended up with me purchasing this new with tags pair of wide legged joggers, which will be ideal for me to wear on homey days in the winter. These cost £3 and I justified them to myself as all my joggers are now a bit snug. These are a bit on the large side, but that's fine by me.


Whilst I have spent a lot on clothes this month, in total I spent £51.55, I do feel that I have now acquired quite a few go to summer and winter items that are comfortable, fit well and most of which are made from more natural and sustainable fabrics, such as linen and cotton. I'm afraid you'll have to excuse the creases in the linen items, as I only tend to iron them when I get them out of the wardrobe to wear them, otherwise they languish in the ironing basket for weeks and I forget I have them. Hopefully, I'll still fit into all of these by next summer and will get lots of use out of them. A couple of the above items I will probably keep in the wardrobe over winter and increase the number of wears.

I am planning on cutting down my spending on clothing in the coming months, as I have developed a bit of a spending habit over the past year or so and I don't know that I really need to buy anything else. I'm hoping I can stick to it for at least a few months, but time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment