Sunday 14 April 2024

A Week of Work and Working Out and Not Much Else - W/E 13th April 2024

This week, I was hoping for a quiet week, just getting back into a normal routine after LB had gone back to Uni. I thought that I was due to work 4 shifts, the first of which was on Sunday afternoon.

I woke quite early on Sunday and spent a while in bed reading a new to me book about mindful making, which is quite interesting. The rest of the morning was spent in the usual way, i.e. walking the dog, doing some laundry, having a good lunch and then getting ready for work. I was expecting work to be quite busy, but it started off quite slowly, which lulled me into a completely false sense of security.  It then got super busy and ended up being quite a challenging shift. It was nearly 7pm by the time I got home, which is quite a bit later than usual.

On Monday, I decided to start the week with Run 1 of Week 2 of the Couch to 5K app. OH was walking the dog, so I was able to get out reasonably early and get it done. It had been a few days since I'd done a run, and I knew that I'd need to run for a longer amount of time this week, so I was a little apprehensive when I set off. There were 6 x 90 second runs, each separated by 2 mins of brisk walking. The first run went okay. The breathing tips they gave you helped me today, plus the knee support I put on to help protect one of my knees that I get twinges in. I made the mistake of running on grass early in the morning. I won't do it again. My feet got soaked. It's all a learning curve.

Anyway, later, I went out to do the weekly shop. I went out of town again today, as I had one more voucher to use at the large out of town Tesco store, another £6 off a £60 shop. When I got home and had just finished unpacking the shopping, I got a call from work. I was late for a shift that I hadn't realised I was scheduled to work, so I had to quickly get ready and go in.

It was a busy night at work and I didn't end up getting home until 10.30 pm, so I was tired. It's been a really busy time in the store this week, in the run up to Eid al Fitr and also due to the fact that it was still the Easter holidays for some schools.  As a consequence, of this and the fact that quite a few staff were on leave, I was asked to work more shifts. 

On Tuesday, I was booked into my usual class at the gym. I had a bit of a lie in before going, which was much appreciated. When I got to the class I enjoyed it. It seemed to pass really quickly. I went home and had some lunch and then thought I'd better check my work schedule. I then realised that I was due at work at 3 pm not the usual 5pm, so I had to then get ready and go to work. It was a longer shift than I'm used to, although I did get a break, but it took it's toll, as it was really busy again. I was so glad to get home at the end of the shift.

I agreed to work an extra shift on Wednesday evening, when the Manager asked me to due to the store being very short staffed. If I'm honest, I didn't want to work, but I figured that I had lots of time off over Christmas, so the least I could do was to pitch in now. 

I spent Wednesday walking the dog, then doing the 2nd Couch to 5K run of the week.  I had a little time to catch up on a few jobs before starting work. Thankfully the shift on Wednesday evening was a lot calmer and we left earlier for a change.

I was up and out with the dog again on Thursday morning, followed by a session at the gym, followed by work.  This week seems to have been all about work and exercise and little else. Anyway, I had a very challenging shift at work in the evening and came home feeling very defeated. It's not something I've often felt with this job, but tonight was difficult for reasons I won't go into here.

On Friday, I decided I wouldn't do any exercise. In fact, I didn't feel much like doing anything. Luckily, it was OH's turn to walk the dog, so I could have a lie in and when I did get up I spent a little while in the garden (more in another post) which did restore some equilibrium.  I had one more night at work for the week and I couldn't wait to get it done so I could have a rest. I've found it very tiring working so many hours this week.

Work went okay, but I was so happy to get home knowing I had a day off on Saturday. One good thing was that I booked leave for the wedding in May this week. I had to book two weeks off as it straddles a weekend. I also booked a week off in June for a holiday abroad. We have managed to book a dog sitter for  a week so are looking to take a European holiday that week which is very exciting.

I had another lie in on Saturday morning and then eventually surfaced and went down for breakfast.  OH needed to go out to run an errand somewhere in Essex, so I went along for the ride and then we both went with the dog to Hainault Forest, where I did my final Couch to 5K run of the week, whilst OH sauntered through the forest with the dog. It was quite nice running in a forest, although a little creepy running on my own there. The run wasn't too bad. Next week will be telling, as I go from 90 second runs to 3 minute runs. I have no idea if I'm going to be able to do it or not.  I hope so.

We stopped off at a Cafe for lunch and then we bought a few plants from a nearby plant/flower shop -  a couple of Fatsia Japonicas for the garden and a pot of two small banana plants.  I see people actually growing bananas on them around our neighbourhood and I've never grown one before so I thought I'd give it a go. If we eventually get a better greenhouse or build a lean to one in the side return, which we are thinking of doing, they can always go in there. Here's a picture:


When we got home, OH went out into the garden to do more work on the fence and I did some laundry. I decided to wash all of my coats.  Some of them haven't seen a washing machine for a while, so it was long overdue and as the weather is now warming up, I may be able to pack some of them away soon until the autumn. It was lovely not to have to go to work today. It felt so luxurious to have a free day to do as I pleased.    

For supper, we had Tapas. Lidl had a Spanish Week this week and I can never resist getting some of their Tapas dishes. It was a lovely end to a very challenging week.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could handle going into work, I can find enough to do here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really did work many hours. I am glad that you actually had Saturday off. Good luck with the banana plants.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete