Monday 12 February 2024

Sewing Room Spruce Up

My sewing room has been feeling a bit cluttered of late.  This is especially the case on and around the desk area. I spend quite a bit of time in the room, sewing and journalling and I'm not entirely happy with the current layout.

Here's a picture:


I feel a need to completely re-organise this corner of the room and find better storage solutions, even if it means spending a little money to do so. It is very congested, especially under and around the desk. Ideally, I want to remove the metal drawers, but need somewhere to store the contents, which include items such as my hot glue gun, heavy duty stapler, fabric paint, lino cutting tools, etc.etc.

The shelves in the alcove aren't too bad, as they have plenty of storage that houses quite a lot of things I use regularly, but I would like to make a few small tweaks here and there too.

I own a lot of vintage thread, that I am slowly working my way through. This is a throwback from my thrifting days, when I frequented charity shops more than I do now. I would always pick up odd reels of vintage thread for pennies and I have quite a collection. I decided to sort through it. I have an idea to store some of it on a little shelving unit that I bought a few months back. I decided to try it out and here's what it looks like: 


I quite like it. It would be hung on the wall next to the desk and would make the thread very accessible. This way, I would probably be more inclined to reach for it and actually use it. I would most likely secure the reels with sticky dots or velcro to stop them falling off.

I also have a sewing basket that I keep threads in and a spool holder that sits out on the side, so as you can see, I have a lot.


The top layer is brand new thread, still sealed in it's packaging, some vintage, some modern.  Below this, is another layer of threads of various less appealing colours.

This spool holder is perfect for the threads I use most often. I use bright colours for basting when I'm doing patchwork. I also like to keep a selection out to use on various scrap projects.

You can see what I'm up against, and this does not even include the fabric I have stored in this room. Fortunately, most of this is all stored out of sight in drawers or boxes, which keeps it quite tidy and orderly. I'm hoping I can find some better solutions to make this room look tidier and less cluttered. I'll keep you posted with progress.


2 comments:

  1. Having so many supplies, which often you do need, is a storage problem, I have a huge man's plastic tool box, it holds everything together, the top section, which is for screws is perfect of all the bits and bobs, I sit my sewing machine on top, so everything is neat and tidy. When I am sewing I take the box with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that you will be able to get all that organized and looking beautiful. Mine, while slowly getting there, is still not easily used. To think I want to get a loom.... Where to put said loom could be a big problem.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete