Sunday 14 January 2024

A Week of Two Halves - W/E 13th January 2023

This week started with my shift on Sunday getting cancelled. I was secretly pleased after working 4 consequetive nights, as it meant that I could have a chilled day at home.

I was able to start the day with a lovely long dog walk. We covered a fair distance for my aging dog. She's still got a good walk in her and even chases the ball for a little while.

When I got back, I treated myself to another lovely lunch of poached eggs on toast. It's becoming my weekend favourite and when sprinkled with salt and pepper and a little smoked paprika, it's delicious.

The rest of the day I spent sewing, working on my current quilt project, whilst catching up on YouTube videos.  I did a bit of tidying in LB's room, now she's gone back to Uni and stripped the bed. I did a bit of my laundry too.

OH and I have started watching series 1 of The Traitors on iPlayer and we watched two episodes tonight, as it started to get interesting in episodes 3 & 4. We missed this programme when it was on the TV and there's already a second series ongoing, so we're playing catch up.

On Monday, I had quite a long lie in, as I felt really tired when I woke up. I eventually got up and after breakfast at 11.30am, I headed off to do the weekly shop. I went out of town today, as I needed to get some items from Home Bargains, so that was my first port of call. I couldn't believe it when the cashier said I'd spent over £40, but it was mostly on things I/we needed, so I can't grumble. I did double up on some toiletries and food items, so that we were stocked up on them and I shouldn't need to shop there again for a good few weeks.

Next stop, was a large retail park where I needed to get more toiletries from Superdrug, had a £2 off a £10 spend voucher to use at Poundland and I also had a good mooch in a huge charity shop, which has quickly become a favourite thrifting spot. I found a few things in there on this occasion. I bought a pair of gym leggings for £3, ones with pockets for my phone and which fitted well and a men's black waistcoat. I've been looking for one for a while. I will probably wear it for work, so that I can put my phone in the pockets. I was really pleased with the one I bought, as it's oversized and fits me in a way that I like and it only cost £2. I used to wear a men's waistcoat a lot many years ago and always enjoyed wearing it. I like the androgynous look of them.

I also bought a couple of books which were 2 for £1, that I look forward to reading, some black velcro, some lovely half-price Xmas cards to send next year and I managed to buy a small gift for LB's birthday later this week. It was a brand new crochet kit, to crochet a dream catcher. Crochet is her new hobby, so I hope she'll like it. It only cost £1. 


Finally, I headed to Lidl to do the food shopping. I got a few free items using the Lidl plus app, including a lovely chocolate iced doughnut from the bakery. I hadn't had much for lunch, as I'd just taken a bagel and a bag of crisps with me, so the doughnut helped to keep hunger pangs at bay. It was probably the lowest calorie bakery item there was at 224 calories, so I allowed myself to just enjoy it as a treat.

I had a lovely afternoon out and it snowed lightly the whole time, which was exciting. I spent a bit too much money, but I didn't go overboard on anything and found some inexpensive things that I really needed and will definitely use on a regular basis. Don't you just love shopping trips like that.

On Tuesday morning, I was back to my usual class at the gym. My weight is almost back to where it was pre-Christmas, so I'm looking forward to the numbers on the scales coming down some more over the next few weeks. It's been a slow process getting back to normal eating after Xmas, as I've been wanting to eat more, but I've gradually got down to a calorie deficit again.

On Tuesday evening, OH and I had been invited to a Menswear Fashion show. I was quite excited at the prospect. The designer was a friend that OH cycles with and the show was taking place in a church in the City of London.

We were there a bit early, so we did a little exploring of the area, which was around Smithfields Meat Market and St Bartholomew's Hospital. It's a lovely old part of the city, with lots of little nooks and crannies to explore. I used to frequent this area a lot when I first moved to London as a student 27 years ago, so it was quite nostalgic for me. The church itself, was beautiful. Here's a couple of pictures:



We enjoyed the fashion show. Another of OH's fellow cyclists was also modelling in it. I'd never been to a fashion show before, so I found it super exciting. The clothes were beautifully made and the collection was very interesting. The setting for the show, i.e. the church, was very atmospheric. It was a lovely evening out.

On Wednesday, I was up quite early and out with the dog. It was a beautiful morning with clear blue skies, albeit a little cold. We went somewhere we hadn't walked in ages, as I had to pick up the car from where we'd left it the night before and I then drove her to a place that we used to walk in, before she found really long walks too tiring. We both enjoyed the change of scenery and had a lovely walk.

The rest of the day, I spent pottering around the house doing a few jobs, sewing and cleaning a few kitchen cupboards, before getting ready for work in the evening.

The second half of this week was all about work really. On Wednesday, I was asked to work an extra shift in the afternoon, which then turned into a full 8 hour shift and I was then working both Friday and Saturday evening. The latter two evenings I was put on the job I did for the first few weeks of working in this job, which I really enjoyed. Saturday, was slightly less enjoyable, as it was really busy, but then that's a good thing for business.

I did manage to get to the gym on Thursday morning, have a nice walk with the dog on Friday, do some bits of sewing here and there and get some jobs around the house done during the days, but there was nothing really exciting happening.

Saturday was LB's 21st birthday. She hadn't arranged to come home, as she was spending it with her friends, as I would expect. I spoke to her on the phone though. We're planning to take her out for a meal next week for a family celebration.

It's been another pretty good week, with a bit more happening this week. It's been a bit spendy though, despite wanting to spend less, but I find this is often the case in January, when you can buy things at good prices in the tail end of the sales.

How was your week?

3 comments:

  1. You get loads of money off vouchers, we got one from Lidl this week, first in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been pretty much hunkered down and keeping warm for the last half of the week. It has enabled us to get a bit more done around the house though. I have decluttered, worked on projects, and Hubby has done a few small tasks of maintenance around the house.

    You have sure managed to put in a very full week.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love to hear of your op shop adventures and interesting to know what your weather is like, especially the snow! We are having our usual hot weather here, over 30C most of the week so the snow sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete