Tuesday 19 September 2023

A Free Day at Last - W/E 16th September 2023

After a busy week, working every day and then a day out shopping with LB on Saturday, before she went back to Uni, I finally had a free day on Sunday. It was my first in over a week and I've missed having days to do as I please.

I was up early, as OH was out cycling and I needed to get out with the dog before it got hot. I've missed walking the dog in the last week or two. OH has been doing the morning walks and she's getting a bit old for two walks per day now, especially in the heat, so I haven't been walking her at all for days in a row. As a consequence, it was nice to have a good long walk with her.

When I got back, I decided to do a few jobs. I needed to pickle some beetroot that has been sat in the fridge for over a week. It wasn't a great day for using the hob, as it did increase the heat in the kitchen, when I was trying to keep it cool, but it needed to be done. I also chopped up some courgettes, before they went over, and put them in the freezer to use over the winter. We've now got a full drawer of allotment produce in the freezer, which should keep us going for a while.

The next job was to do the washing up and then wash the fruit and veg I'd bought the day before. I then went around all my plants and watered them. I also did a clothes wash and hung it on the airer to dry in the heat. Once I'd done all those jobs, I had some lunch and was free to do as I pleased in the afternoon, which felt like a real luxury.

In all honesty, I didn't do a lot in the afternoon, as it was another hot one. I put some last minute washing on for LB and helped her to get packed up, ready to move back into halls the next day.  She was all but packed by the end of the day. I also booked the gym for first thing in the morning.

On Monday, I was up early and got ready to head out to the gym. LB had a bit of last minute packing up to do, which she did whilst I was out at the gym.

My gym session was great. I was a bit rusty after nearly two weeks of not going. The last time I'd gone was on the August Bank Holiday. Trying to still exercise when you work full time hours is hard, especially when your gym membership is off peak (i.e. daytime only)

When I got back from the gym, I jumped in the shower and got changed. I then vacuumed and deodorised LB's rug, before she took it with her to Uni, packed up the car (which was so full it was almost funny) and then we headed off to South London for the Uni drop off.

LB's room this year is four more floors up with much better views. Luckily there's a lift. We unloaded the car and I spent an hour or so with LB in the room, putting her bedding on, hanging her clothes in the wardrobe, whilst she did other jobs. We got most things unpacked, but there was still plenty of smaller things for her to unpack and arrange as she wanted. OH always heads off to a nearby cafe for lunch whilst we do this. 

By 2.30pm we needed to head for home before the traffic got busy. It was a slower journey getting home due to the roads being more congested, but we were home for 4pm ish. The house seems very quiet now LB has gone back, but I'm sure we'll get used to it again.

On Tuesday, I was back at work and because it was substantially cooler, I decided to cycle there and get some exercise. Work was okay, I was kept busy all day, which meant it passed quite quickly. I'd just about got home on the bike when the heavens opened and it started raining quite heavily. I got a bit wet. I could have sheltered under a tree, but I decided to just carry on home.

The admin job where I'm currently working, that was mentioned to me last week, was posted online today. I took a look at the job description on Tuesday night and I don't think I will be applying, as they seem to need skills and experience that I don't actually possess. They are looking for someone for 36 hours per week, although they will consider part-time applicants.  These are way more hours than I'm looking to work. It was nice to be considered, but I think it's a no from me and I will just carry on looking for something else. I've  enjoyed working on this temporary job, but to be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure that I want a permanent job anywhere at the moment.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were pretty ordinary days at work. We were given a telephone task that was going to take several days. I'm not complaining, but I will be glad when that task has been completed.

On Friday evening, I needed to go out and do the weekly shop, as OH was using the car for most of the weekend. I had another voucher for £9 off a £60 spend at Tesco, so I did most of the shopping at our local Tesco and got a few bits from Lidl.

I've not had a good week on my fitness journey this week, which is disappointing. For the first time in over 3 months, my weight has stayed the same from one week to the next. I've just not been as active in recent weeks. I'm sure I'll get back to it when this job ends, but I'm struggling a bit on the weightloss front for the minute. I've also had another stomach upset this week, which hasn't helped. Not sure what I've eaten, but something has caused it.

On Saturday, I got up early and went to the free session at the gym, which had restarted this week. It was so nice to go back to it. It's quite chill and relaxed as it's for over 50's, and I quite enjoy just going on all the machines and working my way around. 

When I got back, OH and I headed off to a Zero Waste Day in the borough. I had lots of things that I've put aside all year that I needed to take. It has cleared some space on the landing, where I was storing them.

Once we'd done that OH headed off for the rest of the day to Suffolk to a cycling event, so I had the house to myself and could just potter and chill, do a bit of sewing. It was nice after a busy week at work, not to have to go anywhere or do anything. I did a bit of work on my Xmas Wreath quilt, which I really enjoyed. 

Here's a photo update of how it's coming along:



I also started my Xmas shopping this weekend, to spread the cost. I placed a couple of orders for things for LB. Any spare cash now is going towards Christmas presents. 

Another busy week, I hope you've had a good week this week.


2 comments:

  1. Time stands still for no-one, I think we are pressured into having to fill our days, so much to do, social media only shows perfect life or those whose lives are in crisis, so we feel we have to keep going. Sadly most of us only realise there is a slower pace once we have retired, too many years wasted trying to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find a job you will enjoy, no need to be doing something you will grow to hate.

    The Christmas Wreath quilt is looking very nice.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete