Saturday 19 September 2020

Trying to Take Things in my Stride

Since returning to work after our holiday in Suffolk, things have turned out very different to what I expected. I expected it would be busy due to my being away and that there'd be a lot of work to do  which there was and still is, but there were also other developments that I didn't expect. As a consequence, I'm not too happy, but am trying to just take it one day at a time and take it in my stride.

Basically, I've found myself left in charge of the shop for two weeks with a new Deputy to induct. As I'd never inducted a new employee before, all I could do was what I would do for a volunteer, plus a bit extra with regard to the management role and hope it is sufficient.

As a consequence, this last week has been tough I've not got a lot of stockroom work done thus far. Next week should be better as the new Deputy seems to take it all in his stride and is coping well with the baptism of fire, thankfully.

This was compounded last Saturday, by the lift breaking down in the shop.  We use it to carry all of the donations down to the stockroom and with it out of action, this means a lot of physical humping of bags and boxes up and down a steep staircase, some of them very heavy, as people often overfill them with heavy items rendering them too heavy to carry -  just what we needed!  Anyway, I managed to call for the repair to be done and by Wednesday it was fixed and working again which was brilliant.

I was determined not to work any extra days, but I did cave in yesterday and go in for a few extra hours to do some essential paperwork. I didn't cycle, but caught the bus instead, as I wanted to buy some storage boxes that we had for sale in the shop and then carry them home on the bus. OH can't come into London anymore in the car unless he pays £15 for the congestions charge, but this would have added to the cost, so I managed on the bus, although it was a nightmare return journey.

Basically, the bus stop I usually use was closed, so I had to walk further to another stop, then the bus was fuller than I had expected at 3.30pm and someone sat behind me, maskless, and was coughing over my boxes part of the way home. I was not happy and said boxes are now in quarantine for a few days! Then the bus got stuck in gridlocked traffic, so I ended up getting off and walking a mile home carrying the boxes.  It makes cycling to work seem luxurious. Needless to say, I'm happy to be getting back on my bike today.

I'm typing this as I have my breakfast and prepare to head back into work today. I'm thinking of going early, just to hoover the floor, before we do a seasonal changeover of the clothes in the shop. OH has taken the dog this morning, which makes it possible and I think it will be quieter cycling in earlier on a Saturday morning as very few people are up and about in London. At least I will have two days off consecutively after today, which I'm very much looking forward to.

I've been thinking this morning that I may need to change my route home now nights are getting darker as I have to cycle through a park which is notorious for muggings and other criminal activity.  I think I'll find a road route in the next few weeks. OH narrowly missed being pushed off his bike riding through there at night some years ago and I don't think the area has improved since then. The last thing I need is to get my bike and the contents of my pannier stolen on the way home.

Other than work issues, life is trundling along.  LB went back to work at the pub today for the first time and she is now back at college a couple of times a week. I'm a bit concerned about rising virus figures, but London does seem to be a bit behind the rest of the country this time around.  I do wonder if we'll be all locked down again before long, although I know that the Government will resist as long as possible. It may be a very strange stay at home Christmas this year. Christmas shopping might get interesting. I'm starting now.

Hope you've all had a good week.

4 comments:

  1. Everything about this year can be labeled interesting, as a minimum, we are collecting a good store cupboard of food and household items to last us through any restrictions, but so far here in Hampshire levels are low, not that I am expecting them to stay low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch carrying heavy boxes and bags up and down stairs must have been exhausting. Glad you got the lift fixed.

    I would definitely find another route to bike home now that it is getting darker.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't overwork and burn out, it's just a job. If you left they'd replace you without a second thought, make sure you look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right with your comment. I have been looking around for another job lately, along with thousands of others. I know I should be grateful to already have a job, especially as the pendulum has swung in favour of employers in recent months, what with so much more unemployment. I'm trying not to overdo it, but I'm sure you've seen many managers do just that in your time as a volunteer. I know I have in my time in the charity sector. It's just relentless. I'm managing to keep my head above water though, with the help of some good volunteers.

      Delete