Wednesday 12 August 2020

Coping in a Heatwave

It's been a hot week and I have to admit that I am looking forward to a break in the weather, although it might prevent me from cycling to work.

The house has gradually been hotting up as the hot days continue.  Usually it stays quite cool in hot weather, but the consecutive hot days has meant that it hasn't been cooling down as well at night and heats up quicker during the day.



On Monday, whilst shopping at Home Bargains for the first time since lockdown, I treated myself to this cute little desk fan. At only £2.99, it was a bargain, as it keeps me cool when I'm sat at the kitchen table.  As I write this, it is blowing lovely cool air on my face.  It plugs into my netbook and away it goes.  I've even taken to taking it up to bed and plugging it in at my bedside, as LB has appropriated the house fan for her own personal use these days. A great little buy.

Other ways I'm trying to keep cool include staying indoors as much as possible, wearing my hair up off my neck, dressing in cool loose cotton clothing and drinking lots of cold drinks. My outfit today is this simple vintage cotton dress that I've had for years, but only recently started wearing again. (Not the most flattering photograph here) It has a cute Indian print on the fabric and does the job of keeping me cool.





Walking the dog is probably the hottest part of the day for me.  I try to keep us both cool by walking in the shade as much as possible and taking a bottle of water and a collapsible dish to give the dog regular drinks.

Later today, we headed out to lunch at a local Pizzeria utilising the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. I had my first glass of Pimms of the year which was nice, but I now feel like I need an afternoon snooze. Daytime drinking is not a good idea these days.

We're finding that it is too hot to even cook supper at the moment and we might just start having sandwiches, salad or something that cooks very fast in the microwave instead of a proper cooked meal in the evening. Putting the oven or gas rings on, only serves to heat up the house even more.



OH has constructed this unusual arrangement to help keep the heat out of  the kitchen, but still let the dog come and go as she pleases. It is actually proving quite useful for keeping flies out of the kitchen too, which is a bonus.

I have given up on the ironing for the duration and have succumbed to wearing creased clothing where necessary. It's not easy for me to do this, but needs must.

Thankfully, much of my cycle route to work is shaded by trees along the roadside or in the park, so the commute is not too hot and you often feel a breeze on your face as you're whizzing along on the bike.  Better that than being sat on a hot bus for an hour, wearing a mask.

We missed the heatwave last year as we were in Australia, but this year we're finding ways to just about cope.  I don't know how young people can sit out in it all day, I just don't have the tolerance any more. How are you coping in the hot weather?

2 comments:

  1. It's been hot here too - I am so looking forward to the Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the entire northern hemisphere is having a heat wave. We reached 36C yesterday and almost baked anytime we went outside.

    Love the little fan.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete