Tuesday 26 May 2020

Upholstery Project Update

After posting last week about an upholstery project that I was embarking on after years of procrastinating, I thought I'd bring you up to date.

As mentioned in the previous post, OH dismantled the chair, which was the subject of the project, in order that I could get started on it. A couple of hours in the garden pulling out staples to remove the fabric covering and I was away.

Subsequently, on Saturday morning I decided to start sanding down the back of the chair.  It was probably the most difficult piece to start with as there are lots of small slats that make up the back, but it didn't actually take too much time and I had it back to it's original bare oak wood in a few hours. 



I much prefer the pale bare oak colour to the darker varnished look, so I decided I would try to use a clear varnish on the wood, so that you could see it in all it's beauty. I tried a small patch first in a place that wouldn't be seen, but didn't really like the results, so I'm now just thinking of buying some beeswax to protect it.

In the meantime, I set about re-covering the seat pad. I had had some upholstery fabric put aside that I'd found in a charity shop some years before and when I showed it to OH, he was happy for me to use it. It was quite a thick fabric though, thicker than the one I removed, so was a bit tricky to staple in place, but eventually, many staples later, it was done.



It just needs a base fabric attaching now, but I don't actually have anything plain that is suitable, so I may have to buy something, unless I can find a plain tablecloth or something similar to do the job.

I'm pretty happy with progress so far.  I just have to do the above, sand the legs and then wax all the woodwork before OH can put it all back together. I'll do a full reveal when it's completed.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your completed chair, it looks lovely so far. I have some dining chairs which I was thinking of recovering but have been a bit afraid of tackling but might just do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete