Sunday 17 March 2019

Just When You Think......

Just when you think things are going to improve a little, doesn't life sometimes throw you a curved ball?  It certainly did this week. The shop got broken into, and of course, it was the night before my shift, so I had the job of cleaning up and getting the police in, etc.

Due to the actions of the thieves, we had no internet or phone line for a while and had difficulties with the till, too. We battled on though and got through the week without losing too much money (save for the items stolen) and things are back to normal now for my fellow manager returning to work this week after his week off.

As a consequence, it's been a tough week, and I've hardly got much stockroom work done at all, what with the above and the recruitment.  I've still got quite a lot of recruitment work to do, but at least I've stopped advertising now, so it's not still coming in at the same rate. I'm hoping to get as many volunteers inducted as possible by the end of this week, as I then have a week off and I'm not going into the shop that week, come hell or high water, as I need a total break from work to maintain my sanity.

In other news, I had an email from the Allotment Society this week laying down very firm guidelines for maintaining plots this year.  They are going to come down hard on people not tending their plots properly and there are quite a few people who don't do this on our particular site. OH and I are always grumbling to each other about the lack of effort by some of the other plot holders.  They just seem to want to hog their plots, but not actually cultivate them properly.  They plant things and then don't harvest them and the fruit/vegetables just rot in situ, which is a total waste and isn't really fair, when there are over 100 people on the waiting list. Maybe it will give certain plot holders a kick up the backside and make them appreciate how priviledged they actually are.

Living so close to our current plot, this isn't really too much of a problem for us, as we can drop in on dog walks and do a little bit here and there.  In fact, OH has already started digging the plot over and digging in the manure he spread on it a few weeks ago.  Bless him.

I didn't make it there last week, as the ground was just too wet all week, but I'm thinking of going today at some point.  I did manage to sow some salad seeds into one of the garden beds here though, which was progress.

Today, is sunny and bright, but the ground is still quite wet after rain last night, so I might have to just check out the situation on this morning's dog walk before I make a decision about doing anything today.

I'm having a very lazy day today.  OH has gone off to a cycling event with the car, so I've not booked to go to the gym, and besides after working yesterday, I don't have much energy for it. Instead, I'm going to have a leisurely walk with the dog, pop up to the Co-op to do a top up food shop until I can do my proper shop tomorrow and then just chill.

I have fallen into the habit of falling asleep on the sofa at the moment.  It seems the minute I lay down on it, I fall asleep these days and often can't raise myself to take myself off to bed.  This was the case last night, so I feel a little groggy this morning, although I had a great night's sleep.

I've got a bit of a cold at the moment too, which has now gone to my chest, so if I can fall asleep anywhere without coughing and spluttering, I'm lucky and go with it.

We took the dog to a new vetinary surgery this week for her vaccinations. One of surgeries we use got bought out by another company and the location moved further away, but with a voucher for half price vaccinations we decided to move with it and get them done.  The vet was lovely, but our dog was not happy having the thermometer stuck up her bum.  She does make me laugh.  She hates vets, especially the one who took all her teeth out.  Needless to say, she won't be seeing him again if we have anything to do with it. So, that was another job ticked off the list.

LB took a day off school this week to go to the Climate Change march in Central London with some friends. I haven't responded to texts and emails from the school about her whereabouts, as I don't want to lie and I don't know how they'll feel about her going. She didn't have any lessons that day anyway, as she's just finished another round of mocks, so we gave her permission to go on this occasion, as it is an educational experience and it is her generation's future that is at stake, so why not let them have their say.

As the Brexit debacle rumbles on, I'm just bored of it all now and have completely lost interest. Let's see what another week brings.


3 comments:

  1. I wish there had been a Climate Change march here, but of course there wasn't.

    Naps are a very good thing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for your daughter attending the climate change march. We attended similar in the 60's and 70's (not for climate change) to try and change the world but as you can tell we are still not taking heed of the way we treat our planet so badly. The use of plastic was an issue back then but was just brushed over and now look where we are.
    Sounds like you need a good rest and a time away from the pressures of your job - it is so hard not to get so totally immersed in work I know when my colleague became ill I had to step in and step up but it went on for two years and took ten off my life I am sure!!
    Hoping things wil improve for you - take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling - 2 years taking 10 off your life. I've got one day to go now before my 8 days off. Can't wait.

      Delete