Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Work and Play

I've had a busy couple of days, firstly catching up with work around the home and getting back on track with the Flylady system after working and volunteering so much last week. By Monday night I was almost there, just the bathroom to clean today, on one of my non-working days this week. 

I've decided to cut myself some slack this week and not clean a second room of my choice this month, as on Thursday, OH and I have got tickets for Court One at Wimbledon, so we will be out all day and I want to get a bit of me time today and not spend all day cleaning again. I'll be working Friday and Saturday, so no time there to do an extra room. That's the beauty of the system, that you can do that if you so wish.

Yesterday at work was manic.  There were 4 new work placement students, 2 new interns and a couple of volunteers that I hadn't yet met. I can see I might have difficulty in remembering everyone's name going forward. In total, on the morning shift, that made 16 of us, which is crazy, but it is a big shop, so can easily accommodate us all in the sorting room and on the shop floor. Another three volunteers turned up in the afternoon too, to take the total to 19 staff working in the shop on one day, although not all working at the same time.

It does, however, make for a lot of work getting done and I can now see progress being made in how I want the clothing sections of the shop to look (my main remit). Hopefully, once we get on top of what is a bit of a backlog in the sorting room, we'll be 'flying' at the shop too. I've got a couple more small changes planned for the shop floor, but am waiting for the right time and opportunity to instigate them. Luckily, my manager has given me the freedom to implement any changes I deem necessary, subject to his approval, so I feel very supported in my endeavours.

Today, I'm spending the day in quite a leisurely manner, decompressing from yesterday. My only tasks are to take it easy and recuperate, clean the bathroom, walk the dog and make some supper.  I'm sure I'll find other things to do, but for now that's enough for my shop addled brain.

I was very happy that it rained yesterday, as the garden and the allotment both needed a good soaking and it saves me visiting the plot to do the job today. The garden now looks much more green and lush. I wasn't quite so happy about the rain when I got soaked at the bus stop and riding my bike part of the way home last night, but it was a small price to pay for a bit of cool, fresh air, as opposed to stifling heat. I'm looking forward to putting my boots on to walk the dog this morning for a change.

After this week, I have two more weeks at the shop before we go up to Yorkshire for a week to house sit for family. We're looking after ponies, dogs (one of whom is about to have a litter), a cat and chickens, as well as the house! It should be a relaxing change of pace though, but I'm trying to get as much done at the shop as possible before I go, which is why it is so full on at the moment.

In the meantime, there has been no opportunity to spend any money, which has been very good for my budget and hopefully this should continue for the next couple of weeks and see me through this month, hopefully on target with the budget. I guess while I'm working to earn money, I don't always have time or opportunity to go out and spend it, which is an added bonus that I could get used to.



4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your "me" time. You deserve it. Enjoy the tennis as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of people in the shop! Wow!
    Oooh, I hope you enjoy your house sitting holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoyed Wimbledon. What a huge amount of staff in the shop ! I bet you are really looking forward to your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was an exception to the norm. Eight of them left this week!

      Delete